UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • MandCSalmon 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi everyone. Shocked

I have just been confused by some of the replies concerning TV and DVD players. Sad
I have a Sony LCD colour TV and a Sony DVD recorder/player.(Both only just over 12 months old)

Both the shop where I bought them and Sony themselves told me that they would not be compatible with the Oz television transmission system.
I would like to take them out with us when we go hopefully in the next 6 months but who is right ?

Question. Will they be compatible? Idea

Mike and Connie. St Andrews. Scotland

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone whose experienced taking TV's etc out to Oz.

Shocked
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • SSue 
  • Voluntary Moderator 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  • Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia 
Hi Mike and Connie,

Australia works on a different system to UK, and as you've been advised by Sony themselves, no they wouldn't work. However I do believe that now you can have them altered or buy a top box which will solve the problem.

It would still be a gamble though, and as they are both quite new, you shouldn't have a problem selling them in UK. My advice would be to do that and buy new here.

Just my opinion though,

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Visit poster's website You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • cj321 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Mike and Connie

As Ssue says the transmission system is different BUT you should get a digital box once you are in Australia. An SD (standard definition) one is less than $100 and is similar to the 'Freeview' system in the UK although don't expect as many channels yet. You can also get an HD (High Definition) box if your TV is HD ready. These are in the region of $200. You can connect either of these to any TV and you will get a much better picture than with analogue TV.

Hope this helps
Chris
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • davii 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Other than what has already been mentioned, I take it the actual electrical supply itself is the same?

Am bring computers, music gear and so on, that have the standard "kettle lead" type sockets - will this be a case of just changing the lead to fit Aussie sockets?
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
  • Mark post as unread
  • cj321 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
davii wrote:Other than what has already been mentioned, I take it the actual electrical supply itself is the same?

Am bring computers, music gear and so on, that have the standard "kettle lead" type sockets - will this be a case of just changing the lead to fit Aussie sockets?

The electrical supply is fine for all UK equipment. If you have british multiway adapters then you could leave the UK plugs and just put an ozzie plug on the adapter, this is useful if you have three or more items to plug in at a single location, ie computer equipment or TV equipment.

Hope this helps
Chris
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • davii 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Cheers Chris Smile
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • pmforster 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
The SD TV I brought from the UK works fine here at picking up the analog channels.

My UK digital set top box doesn't pick up the Aussie digital channels. So I got an Aussie set top box and connected it to my TV - works fine.

Peter Forster
Gone troppo
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
Need forex? OzForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.