UKForex

Latest Message from British Expat

• Wanted in Paradise! BBC2 need you
    Are you seriously thinking about a permanent move to an exotic location? BBC2 is making a new series about Brits planning to relocate to places like the Caribbean, the Seychelles, South and Central America or other ‘paradise’ destinations. They'd like you to be part of it.
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • Essex lad 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I have been offered a position in Baku and was wondering what life would be like for a bachelor. Is the expat community mainly families ? whats the nightlife like ? Is it easy enough to save money (I hear taxes are high) ? Confused

Its really a place i know very very little about so any replies would be much appreciated.

Im a Brit coming from Asia.

many thanks Smile
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • HesitationKills 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi,

In the past the vast majority of the expat population were bachelors but I would say over time this majority has reduced and there are more and more expats bringing their families here. Also a lot of expats have met & married local girls and started families whilst here. Having said all that I still think that bachelors are in the majority.

The nightlife is mainly bars and restaurants but there are a few decent nightclubs as well. Some bars have live music at weekends. The bars will stay open as long as you keep drinking! The beer in the expat bars is about $3 a pint. Taxis are abundant and pretty cheap.

Taxes depend on the deal you strike with your employer and whether they pay or you pay I guess.

Where about in Asia are you?
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Essex lad 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Thanks for that info.

Im currently in Singapore. No definite date to go to Baku yet, but strong possiblility within next 2 months.
Check out British Expat's business and travel eBooks on ErgoGuides.com!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Essex lad 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
OK, I will be coming to live there on Monday. Are there any golf courses in Baku ? Confused
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
  • Mark post as unread
  • HesitationKills 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Yeah theres a nine hole course. Im not a golfer so I can't tell you much about it unfortunately.

Good luck with the new job.
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.