UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • OzzieDash 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
I have been reading with interest the posts on the Shanghai British School. My great-grandfather came to Shanghai in the 1860s and a further 3 generations of Brandts lived in China. We were allowed out of China in 1954 and settled in Australia. I have very few memories of Shanghai, as I was 4 when we left.
My father, Frederick Brandt went to St Jean d'Arc College, probably until his father died in 1924. I have a wonderful photo which appears to be all of the pupils and masters of the college, taken probably around 1923-4. No names unfortunately.
He then went to the Public School for Boys - I have some of his report cards from that school dated 1928.
Does anyone know anything about these two schools?
Thanks,
OzzieDash
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • SteveUpton 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Dear Ozziedash: I did not attend school in Shanghai, but I have been working on the history of schools that were primarily for Western children in pre-1950 China. I have information (too much to list here) about both of the schools that you have mentioned. The name of the first school that you mentioned was usually known in French as College St Jeanne d'Arc and in English as St Joan of Arc's College. The Shanghai Public School for Boys was one of a group of schools operated by the Shanghai Municipal Council-- this group of schools had a rather complicated history of moves and mergers over the years. I welcome hearing from anyone who attended a school that was primarily for Western children in China prior to 1950. My address is: Steve Upton, P.O. Box 177, Concord, NH 03302-0177 USA. /P.S. to Ozziedash: If possible, I would very much like to see photocopies of the report cards that you mentioned.
Read the British newspapers online!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • OzzieDash 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Hi Steve,
How exciting to hear from you! I am currently in the UK, and will not be home until early November. I can do better than the report cards - I have a very nice photo of the College. It looks like the entire school with pupils and teachers in front of the building itself and would have been taken around 1923-4. Sadly I can only identify my father. I will copy it to you, and the report cards when I get home.
Bye for now, Dasha
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.