UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • kayfibro 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi, my husband and I are planning to move to Spain (Torreveija area) in Feb next year. I suffer from fibromyalgia and take medication which I get in the UK via repeat prescriptions from my GP. Does the same system operate in Spain and can I take a prescription from my present GP and get it out there when we first move?
I'd welcome contact from anyone who has moved to this area for general advice/chat too please.
Kay
Visit Not Delia for recipes, food news and reviews!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • spainboy 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
It's very likely you can buy thr drug in any farmacia , if it is a prescription onlyI would go and see a doctor who takes your insurance show them the prescription and they will give you a spanish one. or why not bring extra with you.
If you can post the name of the drug and i will ask for you Smile
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • commando59 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi I am moving to Torrevieja in May 2005, I suffer with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Oestoarthritus, and Gulf War Syndrome from 1990/91, I live off 32 tablets per day and will do for the rest of my life, all my medication is repeat medication, But I understand that I have to pay for my medication in Spain, I don't work here because of the above, in plain English I am no longer aloud to work, could someone please tell me how much this is all going to cost me as I only live off Benefits, or is there a way I can get medication for free, this is my list - Tegretol 200mg
Tegretol 400mg
Diazepam 10mg
Zoltec 25mg
Vitamin B Strong compound
Meloxicam 7.5mg
Tramadol 100mg
Omeprazole 20mg
Asthma Ventolin Blue
Oruvail Gel
Propananol 80mg
any help would be most appreciated
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
  • Mark post as unread
  • kayfibro 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi - I had similar worries but if you go through the process to register with the Spanish national health ( ie get form from Newcastle, register at local centre etc) they will give you a card stamped "pensionist" - this doesn´t mean oap, just that you are on invalidity and can´t work. You go to the doc as normal but your prescriptions are free. Sorry this is a bit muddled - fibro does my brain in!! If I can help more mail me personally at kayreeves378@ hotmail. I use an internet cafe here so may not pick up mail for a week or so but I will get back to you.
Kay Very Happy
Read the British newspapers online!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Alan-LaCala 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
A lot of medecines which in the UK are only available with a prescription, are readily available in Spain. The issue then is cost, which will depend on whether or not you qualify to have free medecines.

Kay, I presume your fybromyalgia will cease at some point; I understand that it rarely persists beyond 2 years.

Alan
Join British Expat on Facebook!
  • Mark post as unread
  • commando59 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I would like to post a hastly reply to Alan-Cheam, to explain about the above, If Fibromyalgia is attracted to a human body with no immune system or one that is not at the required level for medical combat against anti bodies then the illness can last for longer than 25 years, The majority of people who served during the first Gulf War have no immune system whatsoever, but there Fibromyalgia came through a concoction of multi Innoculations, therefore the medical world cannot give an estimated time on Fibromyalgia, but it is believed to be in the region of 25-40 years, I hope I have shed a bit of light on this matter for those who do not klnow about Fibromyalgia.
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • Alan-LaCala 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
My experience of it is limited to my wife contracting it almost 2 years ago.

Alan
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • spainboy 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
From the British Embassy spain link here

Quote:
UK pensioners (anyone receiving an Old Age Pension or a disability pension) who live in Spain will be entitled to receive free medical treatment under the same conditions as Spanish State Pensioners. The UK pays Spain an annual lump sum per pensioner to cover their health costs

Quote:
Those who are entitled may be paid a British State Pension, Widow's Benefit and a War Disablement Pension whilst resident in Spain. Those in receipt of Mobility, Attendance, Disability, and/or Invalid Care Allowance before 1.6.92 may be able to arrange for their continuing payment whilst living in Spain as well. The International Pension Centre will handle all enquiries.

With the exception of those mentioned above, benefits are not generally transferable abroad. This includes UK Income Support and Housing and Council Tax benefits, which are only payable to residents in Britain

hope this helps
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • kayfibro 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
2 years....oh how I wish! Mine has lasted 8 years now and is getting gradually worse. Move to Spain was partly inspired by the increased movement I get in warm dry weather here. I have heard of people getting remission periods but never of anyone completely recovering. Sorry to spoil your hopes....hope this proves untrue for your wife.
Kay
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Need flights? Travelpack
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.