UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • Carly 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
My partner and I are thinking about moving to Spain next year with some Friends. Smile We are thinking about a B & B and possibly linking in some life coaching and training. We have been to Gurrucha and Vera area and had a look up and down the coast of Ameria, but not really inland.

Our friends said that they fancy an area near Albox - I haven't been there but I have been reading some other forums and stuff on the area, it comes across as a 'bit rough' ?? Shocked Confused They said that if we buy something near it then at least it has shops etc??
Is it about 30 min from the coast? and no where near a golf course? Sad Is it an area where tourists would like to go ?

So whats it like?
Carly
Visit Not Delia for recipes, food news and reviews!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • caroig 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Carly,
I can't comment on whether the area is rough or not, but do check with the locals as to the water supply. I've read several reports of shortages in the area, not ideal if you are planning to run a B&B.
Have you checked out Cabo de Gata? It's definately an area I would associate with B&B and running courses.

As always, the best advice is to come over, rent a while, practise your Spanish and look for the place that suits you best. Southern Spain can vary so much between summer and winter, it really is an idea to get a feel for both extremes.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Carly 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks Caroig
I am hoping to come out in a couple of months to have a longer look around. Will bear the water thing in mind Smile And check out Cabo de Gata
Carly
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • belindamary 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Don't know Albox personally as I live in the next province (Granada) but on the Almeria side. I believe however, that Albox is quite popular with expats

Almeria province is VERY dry. It contains the only true desert in Europe (at Tabernas, where Clint Eastwood made his spaghetti westerns!). There is also much plastic agriculture which is a real eyesore in the area and takes even more of the water.

Inland in Granada province is MUCH better than the coast, with far less plastic agriculture, beautiful mountains, no golf courses (yet) and a nicer climate than the coast. Presumably Almeria province is similar.

The area I live in (the Alpujarras) extends into Almeria province and the villages in the Almeria Alpujarras are just as picturesque as those in Granada. Maybe you should look here too.

I also agree with the above poster about the Cabo de Gata.

Hope this helps.
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • rt21 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
I know the Albox area quite well and my advice would be to be very careful about buying in that area. It is notorious for illegal builds and properties that have no escrituras. Some agents and developers over there will tell you anything for a sale in what is a weak market.
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • keo 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I live in a village (Arboleas) about 5Km from Albox and it definately does have a rep for illegal builds, having saild that there are a lot of fully legal ones.
We are 30 minutes from the coast and prices are approximately 40% to 50% cheaper. To go a bit deeper into that we bought a 4 bed detached (not a lot of land 650 Sq Mtr) and pool for less than a 2 bed apartment on the coast.
If you have reservations about an illegal new build look at a resale that already has the deeds (escritura)
Use an independant and recommended English Speaking Spanish Solicitor.
Dont rush in, consider renting in the area first and that way you will find out exactly "How Rough" the area is and get to know the good honest reliable builders from the others.

Ken
  • Mark post as unread
  • Carly 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks for all the advice. Will keep my eye on the legal side of things
Caroline
  • Mark post as unread
  • caroig 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Carly,
There has been quite a lot in the Spanish press over the last few weeks regarding Albox. The town councillor for planning has resigned after the issuing of a court order demanding the demolition of 13 illegal builds. According to the article in El Mundo, this is 'the tip of the iceberg' as the local ecology group have reported over two thousand illegal builds to the environmental arm of the Guardia Civil, Seprona.
It looks as if most of the local councillors have some involvement.
  • Mark post as unread
  • Carly 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Caroig
thanks for the note ... OMG !
Well that is food for thought.
Caroline
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
  • Mark post as unread
  • GCM 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I wouldn't be so concerned with the illegal build issue - that can be avoided after all - but I would most be concerned about the business potential.

It may be cheap but it doesn't sound like an area many people are going to get to or want to go to.

You may have an empty B&B most of the year.

Mark
  • Mark post as unread
  • ranger 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
I too live close to Albox,
It's no rougher than any other area in Spain where Brits have chosen to live. I am in my 8th year of living in Spain and have seen many changes all along the eastern coastline, some for the better, some for the worst.
There are many ex-pats in the Albox area, most have chosen to live here because the scenery is better, what with the mountains and hills, the crime rate is much lower than on the coast and the price of property is lower too.
Certain areas around Albox have suffered with illegal builds, but now, most people know which they are and all are well documented. The advice to buy a resale is the best. Resales will have all the paperwork already in place and usually, lots of work has been done to the property adding to it's value. The thing to remember is to get an independant solicitor to check out the escrituras and make sure all household bills are available. If it's got no paperwork, or only the promise of paperwork in the near future, don't buy it, simple.
Hope this helps,
ranger Surprised
  • Mark post as unread
  • ssd 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Easy to avoid the legal issue - just say that you need a mortgage on what you are buying (whether you actually do or not) that will put all non-legals out of the question because a lender wont touch them.

Albox itself is not pretty, but I cannot think of anywhere I would rather live 'near' to, because if you need anything and cannot find it there...it does not exist.

The towns & villages in a 30-45 minute radius of allbox are fantastic, and ideally located for the beach, sierra nevada (skiiing), shopping (Roquetas, murcia, cartagena) and beautiful unspoilt and peaceful countryside.

and to top it all off, because of the high profile (for all the wrong reasons) it is excellent value for money too!
  • Mark post as unread
  • mjbrits 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
We have lived in Albox for several years now, although we had all the services when we came here, we now have no water and no mains electricity. The estate of 50 villas where we live is amongst many thousands that are under the threat of demolition.
I am still shocked and amazed at just how much corruption there is among all the people in power. That includes the Town Hall, the lawyers, developers and the government.
The idea that you can get good reliable advice on the legality of property in Albox, or anywhere in the Almanzora Valley for that matter is just not correct. Many house here have had all the legal papers in tact for several years only to find that the government has withdrawn the building licences retrospectively, on most occasions the homeowner isn't informed of the legal problems until the demolition orders are issued by the police, by then it's too late to do anything.
The best advice I can give you is don't take of risk of moving to an area where there is obviously a problem, whatever people from other areas may say. DON'T RISK ALBOX, it's not a good place to be.
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
  • Mark post as unread
  • Kay 
  • Site Admin 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
Hi mjbrits

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your advice about Albox.
Kay's Blog - My blog about online business and earning money online.

Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Visit poster's website Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • margriet1 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hello,

we are considering bying a house in the arboleas/albox area but reading your mail we are very reluctant now. Can you tell me where these 50 villas are? We are considering a small development in Los Higuerales. Is this safe? What about watershortage?

Thank you so much for dealing your experience with us.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Need flights? Travelpack
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.