UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • justajester2007 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Everyone seems to have a favourite Star Trek series...what is yours? Do you prefer the original with Cap'n Kirk? Or what about the very manly Jean-luc Picard? How about our own Captain Janeway? Please say you do not prefer Ben Sisko on DS9. Then we have the new guy...what's his name on Enterprise?

And if you have never seen Star Trek...tell me the name of your planet and next time I pass through Borg space I'll pass your name along. Wink
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Dave 
  • Site Admin 
  • Remote Users Avatar 
It used to be the original. But then I realised... that Bill... Shatner's... hammy... over-acting... was proving... too much for me. Rolling Eyes

TNG never really grabbed me. I think it was because of the profoundly irritating Wesley Crusher and his dippy mother.

So Voyager it is, then... Very Happy Especially after Kes left and Toyah Battersby, um, I mean Seven of Nine joined.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Visit poster's website Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Kay 
  • Site Admin 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
Definitely Voyager!

We were going to have a famous people party and I even bought a Janeway jumper. (Well, actually it was a man's jumper from Shoppers' Stop in Delhi. Rolling Eyes ) But the party got cancelled and I've never even worn it. Crying or Very sad Maybe I'll get dressed up in it soon just for a photo. Twisted Evil

Kay (aka Janeway)

PS Thanks for being our new Sci Fi mod, JaJ!
Kay's Blog - My blog about online business and earning money online.

Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Visit poster's website Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • justajester2007 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I remember watching the original series and thought Captain Kirk was fine then (although I must admit to finding Spock more thrilling Embarassed "I'm sure I could reach that logical soul of his"). It wasn't until years later that whole overacting thing got to me.
Dave, that Wesley Crucher drove me NUTS, too! If I saw him do that swallowing thing once more I would have given him to a Vidian. I must admit to liking Troi's character later; in the beginning she was just too mushy.
I really prefer Voyager, though...I like most of the character development, although I do think too many storylines are based on Seven ( for obvious reasons, I suppose).
And although I must admit to watching DS9 when I'm having trek-withdrawl, I haven't been able to get into it. It is nice to see O'Brien there, though...Colm Meaney is great!
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
Last edited by justajester2007 on Thu 9 Dec 2004 02:33 GMT; edited 1 time in total
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Kay 
  • Site Admin 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
JaJ, this is getting scary, we have so much more in common than I ever realised.

What with the Leonard Cohen thing and now your views on Star Trek. Yeah, I always liked Spock too. That's probably why I married Dave. Twisted Evil (Reckon I'm safe enough with this posting for a couple of hours as he's already gone to bed.)

The Crushers make me want to puke. Jean-Luc is OK, I suppose, but a bit staid. DS9 is a non-starter. Seven is interesting but looks like Toyah Battersby out of Corrie - which kinda spoils the sexy effect a bit.

But Janeway. Well, I've always liked her although she's a bit of a control freak. And, despite what some people might think, that's a personality trait I don't like. Honestly!

• Mark post as unread
  • justajester2007 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I've just seen an episode where the doctor has his program input into Seven's...very interesting...the doctor experiences all seven's senses. Wink
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Kay 
  • Site Admin 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
Yep, seen that one. Very Happy

• Mark post as unread
  • ncc1701 
  • Spammer 
  • Spammers are wasting their time! 
  •  
Voyager, yup I think that's where a lot of the action is. More away-team missions, venturing through Delta Quadrant or Borg territory and the usual, to go where no man has gone before. I also think Janeway did a splendid job with keeping her feminine side at the same time acting as the ship's Captain. Way to go Janeway.
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
  • Mark post as unread
  • ruggie 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I remember being seriously put off watching Star Trek after an episode in the original series where they visited a planet where everyone was happy and universal peace reigned - because everyone was doped to the eyeballs. They fixed what they saw as a drug problem, then bummed off into space again.

Very USA. Lady Penelope would never have condoned that.

(Not an original storyline - I'd read a similar one in short story mag many years earlier, but that was earth-based, and handled more convincingly. The Santaroga Barrier, or something like that. And of course there's soma, which was a good prediction of Prozac, I guess).

Looking back, I now have more sympathy for the idea of letting people be themselves, warts and all, but the interesting bit would have been to come back in a few years and try to sort out the wars. Too deep for Star Trek - that's Heinlein/Banks/Aldiss/Bear, etc., territory.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/2011/12/online-sales-of-unwanted-presents-up-50/
  • Mark post as unread
  • justajester2007 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I do remember Soma ...thought it was interesting at that. It does eliminate all that annoying 'feeling' stuff. But back to the earlier thought...does anyone watch the Enterprise series? Saw it once or twice myself, but couldn't get into it. Perhaps another captain would have worked, though.
Check out British Expat's business and travel eBooks on ErgoGuides.com!
  • Mark post as unread
  • nooranismith 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
My vote would be for Jean Luc.

Many of the episodes were poor, certainly, but I think it continued with Gene Roddenberry's vision of how the future should be. A bit of intrigue and political twists, etc. but faith in humanity and egalitarianism. Patrick Stewart is a very powerful and charismatic actor - probably too good for the likes of Star Trek (although he has done some pretty awful films right enough).

The Star Trek movies, though...fun, but far more holes in the plot than was ever allowed in the series.

Haven't managed to see the latest series with the quantum leap guy.
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
  • Mark post as unread
  • justajester2007 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
the latest series with the quantum leap guy.
yeah, that's him...what is his name? Baluga? Baluka?
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • ICP 
  • Spammer 
  • Spammers are wasting their time! 
Voyager is by far the best series for me as to overall storylines and technology. Ben Sisco will always be that bloke from "Spencer for Hire" that helped out Spencer every now and again and aspired to be "Shaft"! Oh yes, Voyager... "SEVEN OF NINE"... 'nuff said. "The Doctor" was the best character for me.
So what will the new Trek flick be like? Only a couple of weeks to go. I don't think any true Trekkie will take it as being a part of official Trek history though. J.J.Abrams is just trying to cash in on Star Trek's success. Whatever happened to a DS9 or Voyager movie?
  • Mark post as unread
  • ruggie 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I never forgave them for an episode where they found out that the peaceful community on one planet stayed that way because they were all stoned on a kind of lotus blossom, so they broke up the party and everything reverted to American Democracy.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/2011/12/online-sales-of-unwanted-presents-up-50/
  •  
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.