from the link
How to register a used vehicle brought into Malta from an EU Member State
STEP 1: Log onto the website www.vehicleregistration.gov.mt
to obtain the value of the registration tax due. The valuation will need to be printed out to be presented to the Authority.
STEP 2: Book an appointment with the Transport Malta by calling on 2123 3029 between 7.30 and 15.00 Monday to Friday.
STEP 3: On the appointment day, take the vehicle to the Land Transport Directorate, Technical Unit, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana, Technical Unit in Floriana. Individuals will be required to present the valuation document printed from the website in STEP 1, and the Original Registration Certificate (log book) of the vehicle.
STEP 4: Proceed to the Land Transport Directorate, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Unit, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana, between 7.30 & 12.00, Monday to Friday with the following documents:
• Valuation document endorsed by the Technical Unit
• Application Form VEH 01 & VEH 02 (downloadable from
Transport/Motor Vehicles/Registration and Importation
• Original Notice of Arrival (ferry ticket or freight note) of the vehicle confirming vehicle number
• Original Foreign Registration Certificate (log book) signed by the foreign owner and by the buyer
• Valid VRT Passed Test Certificate (issued by a local VRT Station) which is valid for 90 days from date of issue
• Valid local Insurance Policy in whose name the vehicle will be registered
• Both foreign plates
• Pay charges: !35 Inspection fee, !10 Registration fee, Annual Circulation Fee and the Registration Tax (Cash, Bank Draft or Credit Card or Debit Card or bank guarantee only. Personal cheques exceeding !500 are not accepted)
• For private (M1) vehicles brought into Malta as of the 1st April 2011, or thereafter an Odometer Certificate of Authenticity issued by a body approved by the Authority showing the vehicle’s authentic odometer reading.
• Approved Body : JEVIC UK LTD.
Building 46, Dunsfold Park, Cranleigh, Surrey, GU6 8TB, United Kingdom.
Tel: UK +(44)-01483-276900 Tel: Malta +(356)-35505155.
Fax: +(44)-01483-331701/273250. Email: email@example.com
All the above documents must be submitted. Failure to present anyone of the above documents at initiation stage will require individuals to start from scratch. The registration of vehicles entering into Malta is a process required by law. Until registration is effected, the vehicle cannot be driven on the road. An administration fee of !30 per day including weekends will apply if the vehicle is not registered within 20 days.