Hi Raymond, and welcome to the forum
If I understand correctly, you are an EU citizen. Your wife is non-EU, but as a family member is entitled to the same as you. Are you of official retirement age, and are you entitled to a UK pension ? If so, you should have healthcare rights from the UK you can transfer to Malta.
Your Blue Cross insurance - will that cover you if you are resident (ie not a tourist) outside of the USA ?
A good starting point is the following, especially 6.1
1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate