• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • oliver&zoe 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hello all,

Well we are finaly moving to Malta from the UK next month. Both myself and mywife are EU citizens and we just had a question regarding ID Cards.

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive your Maltese ID card once you arrive in Malta?

I know its silly but ive noticed you need one to get the utilites sorted out like broad band etc. I'm wondering how long ill be without the internet Smile
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • peterj 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi

In theory you can apply the day you land, and based on my experience will get a card a week or so later. However, when we applied we were grilled on our intentions to stay etc, and that was after 6 mths in residence. Don't know how easy it is to persuade the officials as soon as you arrive. I'd guess luck of the draw on who you get, and I doubt that they can actually refuse.

With Onvol, I was able to book a connection without an ID, but I was asked for a Lm25 deposit as well as 6 months connection fee up front. This was a couple of years ago.
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I do not think there is a minimum period you have to wait to apply for one. Once you have been to the office with all your paperwork, remember wife has to take marriage certificate too. They send a letter to the address you have given and then you return to the office with your letter to pick up your id card. It took our letter just less than a week to arrive. Beware though it is a very busy place and the queue can get very long so do not go if you are in a rush!
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Malta is in the process of changing everyone's ID card to biometric ones, so I'm not sure how that will affect the timing of their issuance.

address, plus contact details of the two offices is below. I'd recommend telephoning them to see what the current situation is, which could save you a wasted journey. If you do, could you please post your experience back on the boards ?

http://www.electoral.gov.mt/pageview.aspx?pid=27&pm=2&sm=8

Malta

The Electoral Commission
Evans Building
St. Elmo Place
Valletta VLT 2000
Malta

eMail Address: electoral.office@gov.mt
00356 2122 1994
00356 2123 6380

Gozo

ID Cards Office
28A
St. Francis Square
Rabat VCT 2000
Gozo

00356 2155 6317
00356 2156 6187
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
from FAQ
http://www.electoral.gov.mt/pageview.aspx?pid=37&pm=2&sm=10

What are the Offices' opening hours?

The opening hours of both our offices' in Malta and Gozo are as follows:

Malta & Gozo

▗ Throughout the year: Monday to Friday 7.30 am - 2.00 pm + Wednesday 3.00 pm - 6.00 pm + Saturday 7.30 am - 10.45 am.

■ Where is the Electoral Office located?
The Electoral Office is located at Evans Building, St. Elmo Place, Valletta, in the proximity of the Mediterranean Conference Centre.

The Electoral Office also has a section in Gozo at 28A, St. Francis Square, Rabat.

■ I lost my ID Card. What should I do?
When an ID Card is lost, the following steps should be taken:

Lodge a report at the local Police Station
Call at the Electoral office and present the report issued by the police
At the Electoral Office you will be asked to make a sworn or solemn declaration. A fee of €3.49 is payable.
A new ID Card will be issued within a few minutes.
■ Should I supply a passport-size photo when applying for / renewing my ID Card?
No, a digital photograph is taken free of charge at the Electoral Office at the time of application.

■ What do I need to apply for an Identity Card?
Application forms for identity cards may be downloaded from the downloads section. However, details on the issue and renewal of identity cards may be viewed by visiting the Identity Cards Section of the Charter Support Unit's website
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
and from

http://www.servicecharters.gov.mt/depts/id%20card%20section/id%20e.asp

Foreigners applying for or renewing an Identity Card

European Union citizens who are resident in the Maltese Islands and non-EU citizens who acquired a residence permit, working permit or a freedom of movement permit should apply for an Identity Card. You are to call at our office and:

fill in an application form

take a computerised photo which is free of charge at our photographic section.

Please bring with you:

your passport or foreign identity card.

your original marriage certificate if you are a married female

We will:

check all the necessary verifications after which you will receive a letter from this Section within 14 working days
after the application is filed at our office. It will inform you that your Identity Card is ready to be issued and that you can collect it during office hours. Just bring the letter and your passport or foreign Identity Card

if there are any difficulties we will contact you by telephone or by a letter within the stipulated 14 working days

check Identity Cards are issued "For Use In Malta Only" and " Not valid for travel". In fact such Identity Cards may not be used for travel abroad. Their purpose is for identification within the Maltese Islands only.
  • Mark post as unread
  • SteveD 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I was able to open an account for phone, internet and TV with GO when I arrived here last November without a Malta ID card. If I remember right they just took a photocopy of my passport. Within ten days I had all three services setup and running.
Visit Not Delia for recipes, food news and reviews!
  • Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I must admit we did not have our ID cards when we got our phone/tv/internet. I we not have to pay a deposit either. We did sign up at an IT fair so maybe we got a special offer?
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Ann - was that with onvol or GO ?
  • Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Mark is that a trick question? Are you trying to get me to advertise on here? Laughing We are with onvol (Melita). Granted we do have a phone were we buy top up vouchers but as we hardly use the phone that is not a problem. And the tv and internet are just monthly payments.
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
As if I would be that sneaky Very Happy

Oliver & Zoe - basically with all the utilities, the worst case is you will need to leave a deposit that should be refundable as soon as you get an ID card, or that its used as credit to pay off future bills. ID cards - worth checking as ID card issuance is in the air at the moment with the switch to biometric cards. If necessary you can always get a phone line with GO on their pre-paid system (no deposit required), and then get a dialup internet connection with a few to choose from.
  • Mark post as unread
  • pjr 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Oliver and Zoe,

I bought my place in 2002 and still havn't got round to an ID card. I have broadband and the usual utilities. Passport or driving licence seems to do just as well - and then you can get round to ID cards when you have the time. Mind you, I do have a BOV account, so maybe you should get a local bank account ASAP, that might make a difference.

PJ
If you're going to buy or book online, please help this site by using our affiliate links.
  • Mark post as unread
  • johnofessex 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
gozomark wrote:Malta is in the process of changing everyone's ID card to biometric ones, so I'm not sure how that will affect the timing of their issuance.

An article in the Times of Malta on Sunday reported that "People attempting to renew ID cards now are already being turned away unless the need is absolutely necessary. From next year, we will have new e-IDs in our pockets."

Whether that goes for new issues as well as renewals I don't know, but I guess it might.
Missing your local paper back 'home'? British Newspapers online
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
it all depends on the absolutely necessary bit ! Is it absolutely necessary for a foreigner to have an ID card given it can't be used to overseas travel. AFAIK they are still issuing cards to foreigners so this could work in your favour as they will be issuing very few cards currently.

Even if they are not issuing them, it is still your legal responsibility to apply for one
  • Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
We were at the id office last Monday to replace DH's id card as we have moved and it was his first chance to go replace it, and the queues that day were longer than I have ever seen them, so they are still giving something away.
Read the British newspapers online!
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.