It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 02:28 GMT
Change font size

Portugal

Cash back?

Cash back?

Postby Fizz » Sat 14 Oct 2006 10:29 GMT

Is it possible to get "cash back" in Portugal when shopping i.e. a cash advance that is charged to your credit/debit card account together with the charge for your shopping?
The reason I ask is that my retired parents live in Portugal and are able to have shopping delivered to them payable by credit card, but are finding it increasingly difficult to get out to go to the bank just to get cash. If they could have small amounts of cash delivered together with their shopping then this would be ideal.
They have both UK and Portuguese bank accounts.
Posted by:
Fizz

cash back

Postby Ronny » Wed 15 Nov 2006 16:48 GMT

Tricky one if your parents have food delivered I am asuming it is internet or a typical friendly service from a local supermarket.
I am not sure where they are located but you could investigate western union who if there is a delivery address nearer than a bank could provide the solution.
If you would like to send me a pm I will investigate further.

Ronny
Posted by:
Ronny

Postby Fizz » Wed 15 Nov 2006 16:59 GMT

Actually Ronnie the banks are pretty close, it's just that my parents are getting less good on their feet as time goes by. When one of them was ill recently they had no way of getting money from the bank, and this caused problems. Of course they could ask a friend to get money out for them, but this is not secure and I would like to find an alternative.
By the way they live in Cascais, and the groceries are delivered by a local supermarket (not internet).
Posted by:
Fizz

Banking

Postby Ronny » Thu 16 Nov 2006 14:35 GMT

I know it is probably a simple answer but have you considered a safe /or even one of those disguised Heinz tins that you can store a little money in, it would at least provide access in an emergency.I will be in Southern Portugal shortly and will enquire with my Portuguese friends and neighbours about cash delivery.
Posted by:
Ronny

Postby Fizz » Fri 17 Nov 2006 10:49 GMT

Thanks Ronnie, that would be much appreciated
Posted by:
Fizz

cash Back

Postby Ronny » Wed 6 Dec 2006 16:40 GMT

The best suggestion after my visit and discussing within the locals camp --
Its a question of trust and whether your parents have a neighbour they can rely or to appoint a Lawyer with power of attorney for a certain bank account with limited funds,they can then deliver the money.The only other suggestion is to appoint a support function.
Trust this helps
Ronny
Posted by:
Ronny

Return to Portugal