It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 17:13 GMT
Change font size

Mexico

Living in Mexico

Living in Mexico

Postby ang » Wed 15 Sep 2004 15:30 GMT

Hi,
my name is Angela and I live in Mexico. I've been here for about 2 years now and just recently came across this website. In my town (Puebla) I have yet to find any Brits who actually live here, there are an assortment of exchange students that come and go at the local university but in terms of setting up home in Puebla I think I'm the only one (although I'm probably wrong about that).

Well, here's a bit of info about myself. I'm originally from Manchester, UK. I moved out here when I was 22, literally the day after my last uni exam, with a head full of expectations and a heart full of love (I have a Mexican boyfriend but more about that later, a very loooong story). Looking back I can say that I wasn't at all prepared for life out here (haha I'm still not!) and spent the last 2 years making a lot of mistakes and not really learning from them. I am getting there, slowly but surely!!

As I said I came here straight after uni so my first experience of full-time work has been here and of course I had to jump onto the well-trodden track of TEFL (and have I got some stories from that experience!). I'm very sad to say that I'm actually still on that track and am doing everything to get off it and put my degree to use (as my dad keeps telling me).

Well, I could ramble on forever about all this but I suppose I posted this message to say hi to any other Brit living in Mexico (or Puebla??) and indeed to any expat around the world who feels like swapping stories or a chat.

bye for now
Ang
Posted by:
ang

Postby Dave » Thu 16 Sep 2004 03:58 GMT

Hi, Angela, and welcome to the forum! Hope you'll find us a friendly bunch - we look forward to seeing you again, here and on the general community board.

As far as I know you're our first member from Mexico - I don't think we've got any others (and Kay and I are almost as far from Mexico as you could get!) but if you stick around maybe you'll attract more... :D

How do you find TEFL as a job? We've been wondering about it as a way of getting me a work permit for Thailand, but I'm not sure it's the sort of thing I'd be that great at - especially after reading Graeme Porte's English Lessons on the main site!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 16 Sep 2004 04:52 GMT

Hi Ang

Welcome from me too. As Dave says, you're our first from Mexico, maybe we can create a new board soon?

Join in, have fun, and you'll find plenty of expats swapping stories on Chinwags.

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby cpendreigh » Sat 26 Mar 2005 00:44 GMT

Hiya, anoher one in Mexico here, in Cuernavaca though.

Nice to meet you.
Posted by:
cpendreigh

Postby markp1980 » Fri 13 Apr 2007 12:39 GMT

Hello,

I am a British 26 year old male named mark.

I recently spent time in Cancun, Mexico and found the most wonderful apartment on the beach.

I am now seriously looking into moving to cancun, mexico.

I am looking to meet people who have made the move to mexico and could give me some direction and advice!

my msn is markpearson11@hotmail.com

Thanks

Mark
Posted by:
markp1980

Moving soon

Postby lemartoulet » Thu 24 May 2007 13:36 GMT

Hi all
Would also like to contact any UK expats living in Mexico
We are hoping to move to Cancun area very soon would appreciate any tips or advice on relocating
Hope to meet in the flesh soon Debra
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
lemartoulet
Free member

Destination, Cancun (We need Pozole and Tacos de Tripa!)

Postby SamCancun » Sat 18 Aug 2007 07:16 GMT

Hi lemartoulet,

What information were you looking for? I realise you posted this a while ago but you might not be in Mexico yet, either way let me know.

I live in Kent, England and am moving to Cancun in September, my wife is Mexican, worked and grew up there, we also got married in Cancun last year, we are going to live with her mum and I will therefore be living a very Mexican lifestyle (i have had some practice but only weeks at a time) but obviously if there is anything you need to do know I can ask for you, I have a very helpful family out there, her Grandad runs one of the best mariachi bands in Cancun (mariachi plata) and they have lots of contacts.

Be good to speak to another person from the UK planning to do the same thing, I am 27, my name is Sam (i suppose my username gives that away!), my wife is Ingrid and we have a 3 week old daughter Sofia Marie who will be growing up there, we plan to have lots more children too and we are very excited about going, I realise my situation might be slightly different but it would be nice to get to know someone else out there that speaks fluent English (so far it is just my wife, if you ever need a translator, she's the one) :)
Posted by:
SamCancun

Thanks

Postby lemartoulet » Sat 18 Aug 2007 20:34 GMT

Thanks for your reply Sam
Not too sure when we will make the move property here in france is not selling well at the moment we have 3 houses a farm and building land all to sell
Keep in touch and any other UK expats would appreciate any input
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
lemartoulet
Free member

hurricane

Postby lemartoulet » Mon 20 Aug 2007 17:40 GMT

Battern down the hatches and good luck to you all
Posted by:
lemartoulet
Free member

Return to Mexico