It is currently Thu 29 Oct 2020 17:58 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Newsletter editorial, Aug '14: I'd like to get your backs up

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Newsletter editorial, Aug '14: I'd like to get your backs up

Postby Dave » Mon 1 Sep 2014 20:06 GMT

This month's newsletter editorial was about a frequent bone of contention when flying: the reclining of seats.

Do you resent it when someone shoves the back of their seat into your dinner? Or do you regard it as an unjustifiable provocation when you exercise your right to stretch out a little and the passenger behind does everything they can to deny you your comfort?

What reclining rules do you think people should follow when flying? Please post and share your views on cabin courtesy! 8-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Tue 2 Sep 2014 14:42 GMT

I think it depends on the length of the flight. If its a short flight, then anybody is capable of staying sitting upright. But on long haul overnight flights, then I think its rude of the person behind to use some device to keep you upright. After all, its hard enough to get to sleep on a plane, let alone being forced to be bolt upright.

And as to smoking on planes. I don't think it's ever safe or pleasant to allow smoking on a plane. I smoked in the past, but I never smoked in a car or in a closet for that matter. You need an open space for smoking.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 2 Sep 2014 19:07 GMT

The are pros and cons of allowing or forbidding all sorts of things. If only people would show a bit of consideration for others, then we could all be happy. And we might not need so many rules either.

I personally wish there were more rules about how parents should insist their children behave in public places. I know that children have to travel sometimes. I just wish their parents were a bit more responsible. Failing that, I'd like to see "no children" flights in the same way as they had "no smoking" flights before smoking was banned altogether.

Good to see you back, BTW. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Tue 2 Sep 2014 22:11 GMT

I was delighted to hear about Air Malta's 'child-free' policy until I discovered that it meant children under two can travel free with their parents.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Tue 2 Sep 2014 22:47 GMT

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

You got me! I was nodding my head thinking, "What a great idea".
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 8 Sep 2014 19:45 GMT

I came across another article about these knee defenders. I liked the point that the airline has effectively sold the same space twice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/29/upsho ... ender.html
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags