It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 15:14 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

In praise of mosquitoes

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

In praise of mosquitoes

Postby Kay » Thu 28 Jan 2016 16:12 GMT

I suppose I can see their point. If you eradicate a species there'll inevitably be something else to take its place and fill the void.

However, as someone who has suffered (and I do mean "suffered") from dengue fever in the past, it's difficult to feel any benevolence towards these murderous bleedy bastard* insects.

Have a look:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35408835

How about you? Have you ever come a cropper due to these dastardly creatures? How would you feel about eradicating the species?

*bleedy bastard is Indian slang for something unpleasant. It's such a nice turn of phrase that it can be useful to take the place of more powerful expletives. Funnily enough, I never heard it in all the time we lived in India or on the sub-continent - only years after in a novel whilst living in London.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: In praise of mosquitoes

Postby Graeme » Sun 31 Jan 2016 21:12 GMT

Interesting read, but I still hate the little bastards.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Re: In praise of mosquitoes

Postby Jadiejadecat » Wed 3 Feb 2016 09:51 GMT

I don't wish them to be extinct, but I am not a fan of mosquitoes
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jadiejadecat
Free member

Return to Chinwags