It is currently Thu 21 Nov 2019 17:23 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Bungalows

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Bungalows

Postby Kay » Sat 12 Mar 2016 09:57 GMT

Here's an interesting article about bungalows and why there's a shortage of them in the UK.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35762512

We very nearly bought a bungalow but ended up offering for this house instead. With hindsight, in some ways I wish we had gone for the bungalow, especially since I broke my hip as the stairs are quite difficult for me now. However, I don't think we'd have been happy with the smaller amount of space there. For only two people, we do seem to need a lot of space.

I don't think most people necessarily prefer bungalows until or unless reduced mobility means that stairs become a problem. I'm not sure I would see them as being desirable for their own sake. Come to think of it, if we'd bought the bungalow, we'd have been keen to put in a new staircase and a loft conversion.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Bungalows

Postby ruggie » Tue 22 Mar 2016 11:02 GMT

I have never understood the fear that some people have of sleeping in downstairs rooms. A housing development next to Hayling Island Sailing Club, my weekend haunt for several years,featured 'upside down houses', with bedrooms and garage on the ground floor and living area upstairs.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby DavidH » Wed 23 Mar 2016 05:56 GMT

Life is so much easier in a Bungalow. No trekking up and down particularly as, like me, you start getting on a bit and smoke too much or like young Kay you suffer an injury. And how many times have you come downstairs and realise you've forgotten something. :lol:
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Wed 23 Mar 2016 08:19 GMT

It isn't just a business decision that makes developers build flats and houses. Even back in the 70s when I bought a flat, it was planning decisions that forced the pace. My flat was built because the planning authority increased the target density for a zone where half the properties had already been built, so flats and terraced houses (and much smaller gardens) were the only way to achieve that target.

Nowadays, the price of land must be a very important input to the choice of how to obtain a decent return on the purchase of a development site.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 23 Mar 2016 11:20 GMT

David, you smooth flatterer, you. :lol:

I saw an interesting product the other day - a small domestic lift. It was the size of a cupboard and it could take two passengers standing or one in a wheelchair. It looked a lot nicer and more sophisticated than a stairlift. I liked it! It had battery power too so you could still get down if you'd been caught upstairs during a power cut.

I would also be keen on an "upside down" house if there were advantages to it. For example, the bungalow we were considering buying would have had great views from the upper floor. I did wonder about putting the kitchen/living area up there and using the downstairs space for bedrooms/hobby rooms.

As Mike says though, it's the cost of land that drives the nature of many development projects.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags