It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 06:15 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Aboard Air Force One

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Aboard Air Force One

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Apr 2016 06:43 GMT

A BBC journalist talks about his flight aboard Air Force One:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36111865
I thought it was rather interesting.

It reminded me that Dave accompanied Prince Charles and flew aboard the Queen's Flight when we were in Dhaka. I'll leave it for him to tell you about that.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Aboard Air Force One

Postby ruggie » Sun 24 Apr 2016 07:02 GMT

I'll bet that some of the African presidents' private jets are more ostentatious, even if they are smaller and the occupants eat sadza (corn meal porridge) with their fingers, dipping it into goat stew...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Apr 2016 07:20 GMT

LOL!

The poshest flight I've ever been on was flying First Class on British Airways. Again, during the time when we lived in Dhaka. Flying cattle class was a complete nightmare so we always flew Business Class. Economy was a no-go area because it was always packed with Bangladeshi migrant labourers. These were amongst the lowest class of people - illiterate, uneducated, and not very smart. They'd no idea how to behave aboard a plane. :(

Anyway, for some bizarre reason we decided to go to India for our holidays. :shock: We started our Indian "adventure" in Delhi, so it was only a short hop from Dhaka to there. When we arrived at the airport, I had every expectation of flying Business Class, but Dave then confessed that he'd been unable to get tickets for that class. If looks could kill! I was almost ready to turn around and go home. Then he wickedly grinned that he had therefore upgraded us to First Class. Wow! I think that's the only time I've ever flown in First. It really was a noticeable step up from Business.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 24 Apr 2016 08:42 GMT

Interesting to hear the way it's done on Air Force One. My own experience was similar, but quite a bit more modest in scale - as you'd expect.

HRH was travelling in a RAF BAe146 from No.32 (The Royal) Squadron. As part of his visit he was going up to the north-east of the country to officially inaugurate a satellite link from Sylhet to the UK (Sylhet's where most Bangladeshi Britons come from). It was only a relatively short hop flight, less than an hour each way, so I think we made it up to about 16,000 feet and then had to start descending again almost immediately. But there was still time to fit in a small but superb cream tea on the way back.

The press pool was tiny - just two people for that leg of the visit, I think. We didn't get to travel with himself; we were in the minions' cabin, which was still very comfortable. But I did get a print of a BAe146 in Queen's Flight livery, signed by the aircrew. We invited them to the BHC club bar - they were great fun and a pleasure to host.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags