It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 06:57 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Could you pass your GCSEs?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Could you pass your GCSEs?

Postby Kay » Thu 25 Aug 2016 11:01 GMT

Try this quiz.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37178008

I was surprised to get 7/7, not least because I never did half of the subjects at school, eg French. I guess the questions are just what most of us would think of as "General Knowledge".

Have a go and let us know how you get on.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Could you pass your GCSEs?

Postby JJ » Sun 4 Sep 2016 21:05 GMT

7/7 though I got the Greek question from the musical work.

I've said elsewhere that decades of real life help with many of the answers, which rather agrees with what you say about 'General Knowledge'.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby DavidH » Mon 5 Sep 2016 05:54 GMT

Well OK I only got 6/7 and I guessed a couple of those. Back in my day, of course, they were still GCE's, not GCSE's, and although I picked up quite a few of those we didn't cover some of those topics. General knowledge goes a long way. Well done and a gold star to you both!
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Fri 9 Sep 2016 21:37 GMT

7/7. even the French one - now, I got a borderline pass at O level French, which my French teacher told me "was a travesty of the exam system" as I barely knew 100 words in French, and yet managed to write a 200 word letter in French in the exam :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 10 Sep 2016 06:30 GMT

7/7 for me too. Yes, I agree - these questions were more like a GK test than an exam, though in fairness most people aren't going to sit around for 45 minutes per question :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags