It is currently Sat 23 Nov 2019 01:01 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Father Christmas or Santa Claus?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Father Christmas or Santa Claus?

Postby Dave » Wed 30 Nov 2016 20:17 GMT

In this month's BE Newsletter we've asked our readers whether they grew up believing in Father Christmas or Santa Claus.

In my family it was always Father Christmas. Not that we spent over-long wondering who brought the piles of presents and put them on the living-room floor - the only time FC ever really appeared in the whole Christmas thing in my childhood was at the Sergeants' Mess when I was four. (I got a set of Daktari vehicles. The high-sided giraffe transporter was the best.)

How about you?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Father Christmas or Santa Claus?

Postby Kay » Thu 1 Dec 2016 08:42 GMT

It was always Santa in our Scottish family. We thought of Father Christmas as being an English term - and we certainly didn't consider Santa to be an American invention. But it does seem to be the case that many English people think of Father Christmas as being British while Santa is American.

This is a complete contrast to Halloween and how it's been recently Americanised. In my day you carved a lantern out of a neep (swede) and never from a pumpkin. We also went guising not trick-or-treating. We were expected to perform a little party piece in exchange for a handful of sweets, fruit, and nuts. Some people even invited you in to dook for apples and join in other fun festive activities.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags