It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 11:01 GMT
Change font size

Chinwags

Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

How did you find this forum?

I was already a BE visitor/contributor
9%
I found it via a search engine
71%
A friend told me about it
11%
Other. (Why not post and tell us about it?)
9%

Total votes : 76

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed 20 Oct 2004 06:16 GMT

In preparing to go to Spain next year, I was searching for practical information about living in Spainin particular. Banks, health insurance, cost of living, and so on.

The key to a good forum, for me, is not just how friendly everone is, but how frequent are the posts, and how helpful the participants.

Some forums seem to only get 1 positing per month. This one has been great for the speed, number, and helpfulness of replies to specific problems. The Spain forum perhaps a bit slower than the general forum, but still extremely helpful.

Oh, and it is a lot of fun as well, with a warm good humour abounding.

Alan
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Postby Trevor Dykes » Thu 21 Oct 2004 12:26 GMT

I was Googling around for outlets for stories and articles. (The last couple seem to have been swallowed by the way.)

Did I mention a new tritylodontid, non-mammalian cynodont from the Upper Jurassic of China has just been published? This is Bienotheroides ultimus. Not a lot of people know that, and even less want to. :roll:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Trevor Dykes
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 21 Oct 2004 14:57 GMT

(The last couple seem to have been swallowed by the way.)

Not sure what you mean, Trevor. But if it's because your articles have been buried in the overwhelming amount of articles and info we have on BE, don't worry. We're only a couple of weeks away from implementing a total revamp of the site. Things will be easier to find then. Please bear with us. Meanwhile, if there's something simple which we could/should've been doing, just give us a shout. We value your contributions and want to make them available to as wide an audience as possible. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trevor Dykes » Sun 24 Oct 2004 09:47 GMT

Hi Kay,

<<The last couple seem to have been swallowed by the way.>>

It was obviously the mid-August glitch. Thanks for unglitching it.
Posted by:
Trevor Dykes
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 24 Oct 2004 10:59 GMT

Thank you, Trevor. It was only because of your comment that the whole thing came to light. :oops:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Sun 24 Oct 2004 21:54 GMT

Can't remember what I was doing in May 2003, but it was obviously sufficiently absorbing that I didn't follow this thread :)

So, eighteen successful BE-months down the line, you can tell any tales you wish, Kay :wink:

BTW, Hajo is alive and well, and hoping to come to Caithness at the beginning of November. Jake-the-Dawg is well trained now, though, and he'll guard the Glen Ord :twisted:

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 20 Nov 2004 11:29 GMT

:lol:

By now, Mike, I think everyone knows the story of the mad gardener who drove thousands of miles and turned up on our doorstep one day.

I'll post a separate thread rather than wander too off-topic here.

Kay 8)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Postby Dwarfie » Thu 2 Dec 2004 20:08 GMT

Greetings from Germany! :D :D :D

Getting that message about hackers inspired me to come back and say hello!

I haven’t been on any message boards at all for months. Mostly because of that (what Kay so appropriately calls) four letter word - “work”.

This seemed like the right thread to come back on…

I discovered be BE during a bout of homesickness. It was autumn, it was cold and I had wicked craving for beef stew and suet dumplings. You can’t get Atora anywhere here where I live so I googled “recipe suet dumplings”. BE is the second entry.

The first thing I read was this:

“It's mid afternoon and the sky is dark grey. The rain hasn't let up, and it's cold as well as miserable. Fancy a salad, anyone? No way! Let's have some good old British stodge."

Lovely!!!!!!!!!!! Just what I was looking for!

I couldn’t get kidney fat - not something Germans are into apparently. Most went UGH when I asked for it. So I tried the veggie version with butter. It was brilliant and my German friends liked it too (after pulling a face first :roll: ).

I visited the main website on and off for about a year before I discovered the forum.

And here I am back again!

I’m looking forward to catching up and hope I can be around more than I was /could be till now. I’ll definitely be checking out the new stuff – especially the music and movie boards. And of course – the recipes!

Bis bald…

Paula
Posted by:
Dwarfie
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 2 Dec 2004 20:24 GMT

Brilliant! Comments like yours make it all worthwhile. :D I'm chuffed to bits.

Good to have you back, Paula, and I'm glad to know that the nasty hacking experience at least had a silver lining for us.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

how i found you ???

Postby jetsom » Wed 19 Jan 2005 21:16 GMT

looking for guidelines on time processing takes??!!!!
looks like quite a while !! better get ready for a wait!! :shock:
Posted by:
jetsom

forum find

Postby wendy » Wed 19 Jan 2005 21:44 GMT

Hi All,
I found this site through a friend, she was emigrating to OZ, and told me about it when i thought about emigrating to Canada. Find it friendly and very useful, JAJ is a great help for me.
Posted by:
wendy
Free member

Postby Graeme » Thu 20 Jan 2005 00:27 GMT

Looks like the Welshman thought he'd found the right place but was mistaken. I hope he correctly posts in the In Country board.

Off topic, but it reminds me of the joke What's a Cardiff virgin?
... Welsh Rarebit.

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 20 Jan 2005 04:12 GMT

No, I think he/she was posting in answer to the topic question - if you look again, you'll see the post subject is "how i found you ???" :D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 20 Jan 2005 05:28 GMT

Ahhh I see what you mean! He was looking for "guidelines on time processing for immigration" and found this site. He has also posted on the Canada board correctly, so I stand corrected, nay humbled :oops:

But at least he did find the site.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Thu 20 Jan 2005 07:03 GMT

I made exactly the same mistake, Graeme. :oops: (I've now deleted my sarky post.) It's just a case of getting so used to people joining up, not reading the guidelines, and posting in the wrong place.

I also apologise.

Welcome, jetsom. Hope you can forgive us.

Kay :)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Chinwags