It is currently Sat 14 Dec 2019 07:41 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Chinwags

Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

How did you find this forum?

I was already a BE visitor/contributor
9%
I found it via a search engine
71%
A friend told me about it
11%
Other. (Why not post and tell us about it?)
9%

Total votes : 76

Postby Chris33 » Mon 21 Feb 2005 14:16 GMT

Do I dare post a reply, for fear of a severe mocking? ;-)
Here goes...

I found this site through the wonders of Google.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Chris33
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Feb 2005 16:10 GMT

Thanks, Chris, and welcome. It's always interesting to know how people found us. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu 24 Feb 2005 18:24 GMT

Mock. Mock. Mock.

Severe enough? :roll:

Sorry. I'm still not entirely sure how i did stumble in here first, but i've a feeling it was almost certainly the same way....
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

just curious - how did you find this forum?

Postby JayneR » Mon 11 Apr 2005 12:11 GMT

Hi Kay,
Isn't life (and the Internet) strange? I had done a search for "english portugal" cos I live here in northern Portugal and I'm an English teacher (esl) and was looking for interesting sites related to teaching/learning English and my search led me to www.spainforvisitors.com/sections/tefl.htm which in turn led me to Graeme Porte's English Lessons!!! Just what I needed - a good laugh instead of serious stuff - on a boring Sunday afternoon!
Even better, it lead me to British Expat. I think you may have just saved my life (metaphorically speaking, of course). I've been living here in Santo Tirso (20 km north of Porto) since 1994 and as far as I know, I'm the only Brit in my area.
My husband who was Portuguese, died in 2003 and I had been feeling quite isolated. So, happy day, I immediately signed up for everything on your site and I'm going to spread the word to all my expat friends who live everywhere except Portugal!!
Anyway, thanks for the good stuff! Take care. See ya!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 11 Apr 2005 12:23 GMT

Hi Jayne

How kind of you to write. Your posting was an oasis in what can sometimes be just hard work for us trying to deal with people who don't appreciate what we try to do.

So sorry to hear you felt isolated after the death of your husband. Such a terrible thing. If you stick around, you'll find others on here who have been recently bereaved, and also some who are making the most of whatever time they have left with their loved ones. We're all supportive. And we try to have some fun too.

John Ross's Spain For Visitors site is very good. As for Dr Grimy's English Lessons on this site - you would need to look hard to find anything funnier. Glad you enjoyed it!

Join in, have fun. Hope to see more of you on BE. Welcome!

Kind regards

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Postby gail_plunkett » Sun 22 May 2005 20:13 GMT

hello

new to all this, first time posting. Hoping to emigrate and found out about the site at 2005 show at York, England. Excellent. Hoping to make new friends and learn a lot

Gail xxx :)
Posted by:
gail_plunkett
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 23 May 2005 04:33 GMT

Hi Gail,
welcome to the site. Look forward to hearing more from you. Keep us in touch with your emigration plans.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby justajester » Mon 23 May 2005 22:19 GMT

welcome Gail...where do you hope to end up at the end of the day?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby atoz » Wed 20 Jul 2005 15:00 GMT

I just moved some peas and there it was...

I last visited this site 57 weeks and 1 day ago. My god that's slack. Now I've revisited, I'm almost tempted to bombard Kay with more 'contributions'... :lol:
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Postby justajester » Wed 20 Jul 2005 17:33 GMT

Well, atoz, welcome back...what's new?
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby atoz » Thu 21 Jul 2005 14:56 GMT

It's only been a year jaj, what could possibly have happened?
Posted by:
atoz
Free member

Postby gail_plunkett » Mon 19 Sep 2005 16:27 GMT

Savannah_Alan wrote:Hi Gail,
welcome to the site. Look forward to hearing more from you. Keep us in touch with your emigration plans.

Alan.

hi sorry i haven't been on site for while had probs with computer and busy working trying to save enough to visit perth at christmas. i am wanting to apply to emigrate but want to visit australia with hubby and kids to see if we all like it. Need also to do more research into to even start. When i am reading postings feels like my grey matter is becoming overloaded with info, did anyone else feel this way and thankyou for the kind welcome[/url][/list][/list][/code][/quote]
Posted by:
gail_plunkett
Free member

Postby gail_plunkett » Mon 19 Sep 2005 16:30 GMT

justajester2005 wrote:welcome Gail...where do you hope to end up at the end of the day?

hi justajester
hoping to end up in perth wanting to visit there in December.
gail
Posted by:
gail_plunkett
Free member

Postby SSue » Sun 25 Sep 2005 06:02 GMT

Hi Gail,

Try the Australia board for info, there's lots there. Good luck with the visit to Perth for Christmas, I think you'll like it.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby LesPopham » Mon 30 Jan 2006 15:44 GMT

Hi all,

I came this way via VV & VE - Virtual Vienna and Vienna expats - since I have been living and working in Vienna since last summer. Found BE on the Friends list at VE.

Great idea to have a worldwide expat Brit network!

Cheers

Les
Posted by:
LesPopham
Free member

PreviousNext

Return to Chinwags