It is currently Tue 13 Nov 2018 15:32 GMT
Change font size

China

Shanghai British School

Postby davidwhite » Sun 13 Nov 2011 19:25 GMT

Hello Rainer,

I shall be in Shanghai mid-April, so let me know if there is anything I can do there. I would be interested to see your boxing team photo. I wonder whether I am in it. I certainly won medals for boxing when I got back to school in England but I don't remember boxing at the SBS. My e-mail is su4426@eclipse.co.uk

I see I signed myself by my nickname last time.

Best regards,

David
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
davidwhite
Premium Member

Re: Shanghai British International School

Postby jentriatan » Thu 23 Feb 2012 09:26 GMT

Hi Janet W! I am the niece of Mary Tria and she was also at the British International School at the time your were there... They had to leave Shanghai in 1949 also bec of the commusnism. We're from the Philippines and were trying to trace some roots there... Nice to see that she has batchmates who are also looking for the school. By the way she is japanese and spanish of filipino descent . .. hopefully i'll hear from you tnx!
Posted by:
jentriatan

Postby Marina » Sun 29 Apr 2012 04:17 GMT

I am replying to an old post by Lydia who inquired about SBS and Pamela Colingwood. after briefly attendingSBS in the 1950 's itclosed and many of us moved to MissCubbin's school, including Pamela. She was in my older sister 's class and i believe we have her photo. I live in the US. We were in China till 1957. Marina
Posted by:
Marina

Shanghai British School

Postby kaitakflier » Sun 29 Apr 2012 09:12 GMT

I am replying to an old post by Iain of Canada. I too went to the SBS in 1948/9 and I too lived in Kinnear Road in one of Jardines houses. I am planning to visit Shanghai in Sep this year and hope to revisit these locations. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Posted by:
kaitakflier

Chapei, Shanghai

Postby puddingjar » Wed 27 Jun 2012 15:45 GMT

Hello Michael,

I read with interest that you also were interned in Chapei. Did you know my father by any chance, also a boy at that time, Bob Ridley? His sister is Joan Ridley and their parents were Hilda and Jack.

I would be most interested to hear from you. My parents also made the trip back to Shanghai to see what remained of the camp and where they used to live.

Best,

Jane
Posted by:
puddingjar

Shanghai British School

Postby DorothyHarvey » Sun 28 Oct 2012 13:37 GMT

Hi Dollywords,

I am writing on behalf of my mother Dorothy Harvey. She has only just looked again at the site, and now has an email address. She'd love to hear from you. Her email address is dorothyharveywalker@me.com. Hope you can catch up after all these years!

Kind regards,
Richard
Richardwalker2004@yahoo.co.uk
Posted by:
DorothyHarvey

Shanghai British School 1946-1952

Postby Till » Mon 1 Jul 2013 04:49 GMT

I'm a latecomer to this forum. I was also late for school as often as not. Miss Penfold would call me to her office (up that sweeping staircase) each week and present me with the total of the minutes I'd clocked up late. She would open a volume of Milton or Tennyson and mark out a corresponding number of lines for me to learn by heart. She would have me recite them to her the following week. I still know l'Allegro by heart and, of course, Mort d'Arthur. Well, passages of it. I also remember so many of your names, you wonderful correspondents, and I want to be remembered, too. Michael Brisk, we shared lots of schooldays. I wonder if you still know Derek Frost. Dolly (nee Eynstone), we lived in the same lane just past the Hungjao railway crossing and sang in the Holy Trinity choir. So did Vera and Winnie. Diana (nee Newcomb) also lived in our lane and she and her brother Peter sang in the choir. We all sang at the burial service for the crews of the Amethyst, Consort and London who were lost in the Yangtse incident. My older brother Rabe was there, too. He now lives near Bonn. Rosamonde (nee House) lives down by the beach below me, Bethells Beach in Auckland, NZ. My guess is Pixie Pringle will know her. I have just finished a manuscript of my memories of Shanghai days (the magic and the crazy mix) and my transplant to NZ (now my home, then the other end of my world). Hope to publish. (For whom?) Our several journeys seem to have quite a bit of common ground. That's good. Bit more common ground to come as well!
Posted by:
Till

Shanghai British School

Postby JanetWilson » Fri 23 Aug 2013 17:09 GMT

Hi everyone from Shanghai British School 47 - 49

I have just discovered this site and found that the second entry was from me ('JanetW') in reply to Iain. I did not realise that there was a forum in existence until this week, being rather stupid concerning the internet world - sorry Iain. Our time in Shanghai was very rushed at the end of our China tour and I got nowhere with my enquiries. On return home to the French Pyrenees we had a hectic time moving house and ended up here in London with a completely new British email address: janet.whitter88@gmail.com, which replaced the French one.

I was delighted to find so much information about our childhoods in postwar Shanghai, an important period in my life as it was the only time when we lived as a complete family with all members present. Born in 1937 in Japan (father Shell employee, mother 2nd generation American Scots Presbyterian missionary clan since 1880's) I was a refugee in NSW and India during the war and then briefly in UK and Washington DC before arriving in Shanghai.
SBS amazed me for being so very British (May Queen and Maypole ceremonies, Brownies and Guides, patriotic traditional songs - Rule Britannia, Hearts of Oak etc. - arithmetic homework in pounds shillings and pence, and Imperial measurements - rods poles and perches,chains and furlongs, bushels and pecks - put me off maths for life, as it was bad enough coping with the madness of Shanghai inflation) All this was a good preparation for school in England in 1949, something which my American mother was unable to give.

My memory of a beloved sports master at SBS is of someone in a wheel chair who also taught me to swim at the club pool.(Country Club? Cercle Sportif Français? - are they the same place?) Does anyone know whether that was Billy Tingle? Apart from him and Miss Penfold, the only other teacher I really remember was Miss Yonin (Russian, I think) who tried to teach us French with a terrible old textbook about M.& Mme Souris et Leurs Enfants.
The only girl in my form whose name I remember was Sally Partridge (parents I.C.I) who turned to me on my first day and said "This is a terrible place. You won't like it here" (She was wrong)

I think I remember you, Hugo, probably because we lived in the Shell compound in Rue Ratard where you were either still living or came back to do roller skating and other street games with the gang in residence there. My sister , Jennifer Wilson, b. 1939, and I used to do a lot of roller skating at the SBS front courtyard as well.

Another name I think I recognise is Derek Frost in my form whom I worshipped from afar, though this is the first I have mentioned this to anybody! I think I heard that his family lived in Enfield upon their return to the UK but I had no idea where that was as I was living far from London , near the Scottish border.

I remember going to a wonderful birthday party given by one of the Russian girls in my form. I wonder whether this was Ruth or Lydia? I remember the contortionist entertainers and still have my little siver trinket which I took home afterwards. I had never been in an apartment before and was most impressed.

Pixie, do you still have copies of the movies about May Day? I remember so well all the marching around and the Maypole dancing. I might add that in all the British schools I attended or taught at in the UK up to 1988 I never came across anything so British! I remember being just too young to join the Guides and having to endure the humiliation of being an oversize Brownie dancing round a huge garish fake toadstool in the hall, singing silly squeaky Brownie songs while the boys passing by outside jeered!

Iain, I do remember the school crest, at least, the hand embroidered monogram which graced the breast pocket of our summer dresses? I think there was a choice of colour. I longed for mauve but had to settle for lemon. How many people now have hand-embroidered crests on their school uniforms? We took for granted things like made to measure shoes and clothes , and got quite used to passing desperate poverty and frozen corpses on the streets.

I was interested in the discussion about the London and the Belfast, as I remember very clearly going to the party aboard the London, given in celebration of the birth of Prince Charles, (b.late 1948). I have checked this on Google and it happened in December 48

Apologies for the length of this, but I have had so much to catch up on. I do so hope that I'll be able to go back to Shanghai one day, especially if any of you will be there. We are such a small select group with these very special particular memories, and we'll soon to be an even smaller select group as nature takes its course! I would be delighted to hear from any of you (email address above) and hope that you are still following this forum.

best wishes to all, Janet
Posted by:
JanetWilson

Shanghai British School..a few memories

Postby alnis » Fri 15 Nov 2013 04:38 GMT

Hello All. I googled "Pull, Pull, All of us Pull together, For it Makes of Work and Play so much more Fun" Shanghai British School and it somehow pointed me to this website. Glad I found it. I wonder if any of you remember the entire school song. Another fewlines are "If you do your best and never let up, You are far more likely to win the cup, So Boys and Girls Pull, All of us Pull Together" "Now Which of the best of our Houses Four..Hanover (Hoorray!) Tudor (Hoorray!) Stuart (Hoorray!) Windsor (Hoorray!)" Can't remember any more.

My two sisters and I started school there when it first opened after our release from Yangchow, Camp C..That must have been very early in 1946. Mr. Crow was the first headmaster and after that Miss Penfield took over. I remember Mr. Moffat who taught History and English. Someone asked about Billy Tingle. the gym teacher. zhe went to Hong Kong and was still there in 1950 as far as I know. I stayed there until my matric in 1950 when we left for England. I now live in the US.

My wife and I visited Shanghai a few years back and went to the school. It is very much as I remembered it and I do have a few photos. The main hall or gym still has royal Coats of Arms onthe walls :) . It was not being used at the time but had been used as some sort of art center.

I am new to this forum but would love to hear from any of you who may possibly remember me....or my sisters..Rachelle and Mona.

To answer someone else's question, the French Club..or the Circle Sportif de Francais is not the same as another sport club mentioned. We used to live in the Grosvenor House across the road from the club on Rue Cardinal Mercier. The old ground floor is now a beautiful lobby of the Okura Hotel but the grounds are still beautifully kept.

Keep well

Albert Nissim
Posted by:
alnis

Re: Shanghai British School

Postby frankhooley » Fri 14 Aug 2015 23:51 GMT

Hi everyone, my name is Frank Hooley I was born in Shanghai in 1939. My dad was chief engineer for Liddell Bros for 19 years, then went to Shanghai Power Company prior to the Japanese occupation of Shanghai. Dad was interned at Pootung and Lungwa camps.
I also attended SBS after the Japanese occupation, from 1946 to 1949 when the family moved to Hong Kong only weeks before the Communist take over. The Hooley family consisted of four boys, the eldest Bill, 11 months older than me.
The four Hooley boys attended King George V school in Hong Kong, and progressively moved to Australia, I was the first in 1956. Dan our youngest returned to Hong Kong about 25 years ago, and set up a medical practice as Orthopaedic Surgeon.
The purpose of posting this message as I need assistance to locate Margaret and Jessie Yung also from Shanghai and ex SBS students, their parents were close friends with my parents, I did see a great deal of the Yung girls when they attended Sydney Uni, at the time they lived at Kingsgrove Sydney, and would therefore appreciate any assistance.
I noticed Billy Tingles name was mentioned in a number of the posts, he also left Shanghai in 1949 and set up in Hong Kong as Physical training instructor, and operated Tingle's Institute.
Mr. Tingle was a close family friend, the four Hooley boys was his only family, he trained many children from the Governor's of H.K. to ordinary citizens. Mr. Tingle received the M.B.E. from the Queen for contribution to Physical education, the medal is held by our brother Dan. Mr. Tingle died age 76 following a stroke.
Posted by:
frankhooley

Postby Till » Mon 18 Jul 2016 06:09 GMT

Albert Nissim wrote back in 2013 and so did I. We went to the same school, about the same time and, YES! I can remember Mona Nissim and we were in the same class. Miss McGregor's, Miss Yonin's, I guess. Our classmates included Gaby Gideon, Ann Murray, Lily Hunter, Garry Walker, Monica Müller... Albert, you may have been in my brother Rabe's class with Jerry Tuttleman, Sokolov, Manfred Miss...
I have revisited those days in my memoir Red Dust Over Shanghai, which will be launched next week (25.07.16).
Just flying this flag. Maybe someone will come visiting.
Till von Randow (now written as Tyl von Randow).
Posted by:
Till

Postby Till » Mon 18 Jul 2016 07:18 GMT

Lydia Fegan (Shamshurin) asked some time ago whether anyone remembered the names of any Russian girls at the school in the late forties / early fifties. In my class there were two Russian girls: Natalie Menchikov and Antonina...
Sorry, I can't recall her surname, but it had four syllables.
I had a Russian friend at school, around 1947, 1948. His name was Ollie Wurm. He lived in the ISS Apartments on the corner of Route Ferguson and Ave Joffre. He had a wonderful Meccano set. And Shanghai Millionaire! All these people play a part in my memoir (see above), although I have not been in touch with any of them.
Are we getting too old?
Posted by:
Till

Postby alnis » Mon 18 Jul 2016 14:43 GMT

Really great to hear from you! Mona was a great friend with Gaby Gideon.

Jerry and I were the best of friends and Boris Sokolov and myself were also good buddies and did not live far apart. I'm sorry but I not remember Rabe. Let me know when your book comes out.

I will forward this to my sister Mona who lives in Alamo,California. I live in New Jersey. We all thinks of writing about our experiences, but some of us actually do it :) Good for you. My email is alnis1@yahoo.com

Regards

Albert
Posted by:
alnis

Previous

Return to China