It is currently Wed 23 Oct 2019 11:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Dominican Republic

Is retirement to the DR a good idea??

Postby DRAddict » Wed 7 Feb 2007 14:48 GMT

Dave wrote:Grahame, are you sure you managed to PM Mad.Les? I tried a test PM just now, and he doesn't yet qualify.

I am SURE I typed one. I am SURE I pressed the 'Send' button. I am SURE I did not get a notification that I could not complete the action or that it had not gone!! Maybe that could be looked into - so we KNOW a PM has not been sent. Better still, if we hit the 'PM' button for someone who does not yet qualify, let us know before we start typing!!

Les - I have sent you an e-mail to the address you gave. Hopefully you will get that!

Driving here is an acquired art form!!! Check it out en route from Airport to hotel & then let's talk again once you are here - I might be able to arrange a taxi for almost the same cost as hiring a car!!

SEE you shortly ~ Grahame. :P :) :lol: 8)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 7 Feb 2007 22:33 GMT

Yeah, you can do all that - but as we keep trying to tell people - read the posting guidelines and the FAQ. Then you won't waste your time trying to do what can't be done.

Whatever message you did or didn't get or send, I'm sure that as a moderator you're familiar with how things work, and can help to advise others rather than creating a mystery about it. It's all in the FAQ. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 8 Feb 2007 00:21 GMT

This has been an informative and interesting thread, I'm dying to know how the trip goes and if Mad Les does take the plunge; it's better than Coronation Street. Keep up the good work Grahame (weird way to spell it) and Mad Les. :)
Graeme (proper way to spell it :) )

Hmmpffff ~ That's the Scots way mon & I ain't no Scot!! I can't even say 'Och aye the noo' or 'it's a broad, bricht moonlicht nicht the nooo'.

Being 'Casi Dominican' now (where there is never any blame on the guilty party) all I can say is "I can't help the way my parents formulated it onto the Birth Certificate"!!

Kay M'Dear,
No criticism meant, just a thought for consideration. Things have been so quiet on here & using a few other notice forums, I had go used to THEIR way of doing things & forgotten the system here!!

Now then Les - some thoughts for you.
Any chance of you bringing your Fireman's badge/cerification or something with you? We could make a detour one day to the local fire-station & you could meet each other (whilst the 'GIRLS' are out shopping for us!!). If you could bring a few photos, maybe a 10 x 8 or or larger of the front of your station & the guys there out front, we could get that framed out here & 'PRESENT' it to the local station. The thought is - it won't cost many pennies but BOY, would it leave an impression? You would certainly be remembered if you decide you DO want to come live here permanently & it would demonstrate to the locals that you have friends in the fire service ......... worth thousands of pesos in goodwill!!

It will certainly take you off the "Cheepy Cheepy Tourist" list!!

Thanks for getting the 'goodies' as per e-mail - Greatly appreciated.

Hiring a car here will set you back about US $50 per day (depending on size) plus petrol. Petrol is still cheaper than UK but it mounts up when you are not looking!! If you are just looking for going point 'A' to point 'B' & back rather than doing little side trips not yet thought about, maybe we could get a local taxi guy for about the same price!

We'll talk more once you are here & in the hotel!! ~ Grahame.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby DRAddict » Thu 8 Feb 2007 18:23 GMT

I think I must have upset someone ........... I make a post as below (above if reading oldest first) & it comes up under the name of Graeme!!

DRAddict signs off as Grahame & gets posted under the name of Graeme & Graeme's original post gets lost in the system!! Confusing??? You should visit the Dominican Republic - this is a normal Run of the Mill happening here!! :oops: :lol:

Sorry to pinch your name Graeme - nothing intended from this end I promise!! ~ Grahame. :lol: :twisted:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Mad.Les » Thu 8 Feb 2007 22:23 GMT

hi folks...

Coronation Street!!! thats for northern folk who keep ferrits and pigeons and walk around in a Manchester United football shirt, even though they have never been to a match and were born in Poland....now if you had said East Enders that would be different...there insults all round, must be my turn now..

Right, a badge or something for the local lads eh? no problem...how about a helmet as well, I must have an old one knocking about somewhere....well, what with my dive kit, the bits for the kids and the fire station I will just bring 2 pairs of shorts and 2 t shirts..

So how many people actually reading these posts who live in the DR eh? must be enough for a drink in a local bar???

In case you didnt know its snowing here...sounds fun eh? try getting up at 5am clearing the car, clearing the drive, spending 2 hours driving 28 miles great..sooooo cold... remind me what does the sun look like?

Les
Posted by:
Mad.Les
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 9 Feb 2007 00:25 GMT

I don't know what happened to my post, good job you copied it Grahame. Hope the visit goes well, we'll all be waiting to see how it went.
Cheers

Graeme 8)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Fri 9 Feb 2007 03:34 GMT

I'm totally confused.

Maybe it's best just to accept things without trying to understand. :? :lol:

Good luck with the visit!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby DRAddict » Fri 9 Feb 2007 03:54 GMT

Graeme wrote:I don't know what happened to my post, good job you copied it Grahame. Hope the visit goes well, we'll all be waiting to see how it went.
Cheers

Graeme 8)

I figured out what happened earlier this evening Graeme. The stupid moderator of this forum went into your post & rather than pressing 'QUOTE' as was his intention, the silly idiot pressed 'EDIT' by mistake!! Hence your post got 'EDITED' rather than 'Quoted'!!

Who IS this burk??? WHO??? .... ME?? Ooooops - sorry folks. Must have been having a "Coronation Street, East Enders, Brookside, Emmerdale Farm & The Archers" all rolled into one, moment!. Take this power away from me Kay - I am obviously dangerous!! ~ Grahame (VERY :oops: !!).

Forget the shorts Les - you can buy those for under £7 each here! T-shirts will be OK for the wet 'T'-shirt competition or giving back to the Time-share company (Rum is already drunk!!). The fireman's helmet can be used until you buy the new shorts!! :roll:

ALL looking good from this end. We are in 31 D Celcius right now & the sun is warming my Solar power water heater to almost boiling temp (recently installed so I am like a proud father monitoring electricity usage & water temp daily!!). Sitting here at 11.50 pm with fan on & shirt open to catch the cool breeze. You won't like to hear what else I am wearing!!!!!!

Enjoy the snow tomorrow :lol: :lol: :lol: (laughing his head off) ~ Grahame.
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Kay » Fri 9 Feb 2007 10:54 GMT

No snow here either.

The pina coladas are on me. 8) :lol:

(Glad you figured out what went wrong. It can be worrying when weird and inexplicable things happen. Having a head-case for a moderator is OK., though. :twisted: )
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mad.Les » Thu 15 Feb 2007 17:44 GMT

Well the snow has gone and its rained for 3 days, flooding on all the local roads...oh what fun..

Have boxed up a pile of first aid stuff for the local school, not sure why they wanted so many bandages, is it that rough :shock: plus 3 more boxes of pens, pencils, dry wipe pens, rulers etc etc etc.. a couple of baseball gloves.... and a box of surgical gloves... in case the customs guards cant figure out why Im carrying so much weird stuff & pills, at least they will have clean gloves!

Scuba gear is packed, along with all Graeme's bits...had just enough room for my speedo swimming trunks (not a pretty sight).. got a few badges but the helmet was too big....thats what I tell all the girls..Maybe next time..

Wifes still sorting out her shoes, shes down to only 8 pairs now so its going well..

Kay, you said 'The pina coladas are on me'. Hope your in the DR and not somewhere cold..

Les
Posted by:
Mad.Les
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 15 Feb 2007 17:56 GMT

Not somewhere cold. Brrrrr! But not the DR either. Land of Smiles.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mad.Les » Thu 15 Feb 2007 18:08 GMT

Thailand eh... could have a different meaning saying... the drinks are 'ON' you, sounds like fun.. :D
Posted by:
Mad.Les
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 16 Feb 2007 01:39 GMT

:shock:
Where's the icon with the fingers in the ears :roll:

Graeme
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby DRAddict » Fri 16 Feb 2007 03:22 GMT

I loked the comment where Mad.Les said
Mad.Les wrote:Scuba gear is packed, along with all Graeme's bits...had just enough room for my speedo swimming trunks (not a pretty sight).. got a few badges but the helmet was too big....thats what I tell all the girls..Maybe next time..

Les

I know you need a cheap holiday Graeme, but to get your "Bits" packed in Les' scuba gear .............. :shock: ......................??

Kay,
Send US $50 by Western Union for my attention & I will make sure that Les gets that Pina Colada at the first possible moment. I might be able to secure a bottle of mamajuana for him to consume too out of that!!

Otherwise Les, the National Police have been made aware of your impending visit, beach wardens have been advised to look out for white skinned wearers of 'speedo' trunks & to remove all impressionable young ladies from the sight of such beached whales, & all bars are beginning to stock up in preparation!! Heck, ............. we even have decent weather at the moment with 27/28 C at night & 32 C during the day! - It's beginning to get a bit warmer again!! :P ~ Grahame.
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Mad.Les » Fri 16 Feb 2007 17:44 GMT

Ha ha...beach warden will have to be quick...Im usually trying to stop Greenpeace from pushing me back in the water as some sort of rare albino whale...
speedos, that reminds me... I must pack that extra pair of socks.
So apart from Grahame is anyone else in the DR..if not where are you?
Ok, except Kay who is in the land of plenty..
Posted by:
Mad.Les
Free member

PreviousNext

Return to Dominican Republic