It is currently Wed 23 Oct 2019 11:36 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Dominican Republic

Saving for that rainy day?? - It's HERE!!

Saving for that rainy day?? - It's HERE!!

Postby DRAddict » Wed 28 Mar 2007 05:49 GMT

You may have noticed in various newspaper & on radio reports that Hispaniola (of which The Dominican Republic is part) suffered heavy flooding problems during this past weekend. Here are some links to those who want to see how it has affected some of the lower lying barrio areas!

http://www.puertoplatadigital.net/noti/ ... dacion.htm

http://www.puertoplatadigital.net/noti/ ... acion2.htm

And we think Manchester has problems???

Here's the BBC report from today
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6501655.stm

~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Care to help fund a dry bed for someone???

Postby DRAddict » Fri 30 Mar 2007 05:52 GMT

Since typing the above post about all the rain we have had, I have had the opportunity to visit the homes of some of the victims of the latest floods. The barrios at just above sea level have been devastated by flood water rushing through 4 foot high & carrying off anything & everything that was not tied down or weighed more than 300 lbs!

When I saw a river running alongside our house & rushing out through the back gate, I knew many would be suffering (we have a drop of about 4 foot before it rises again to be able to go through the gate area), but I did not expect so much mud, so many tree stumps, such a MOUNTAIN of rubbish & garbage to be deposited in so many houses - I was truly Gob-smacked!

I have been chatting with a few of the charity organisations here & one took my eye particularly - they are purchasing & supplying beds (dry ones to replace the wet, damaged, lost ones) & mosquito nets to everyone in immediate need. Each 'set' costs US $100 & I am hopeful that we at British Ex-Pat can fund at least a couple of 'sets' by clubbing together.

This Foundation is called Project Las Americas & is run by a gentleman I have known for 12 years but never realised he was involved in serious charity work. Anyone reading this from America & wanting to contribute, you will be pleased to know that the Foundation is registered in US & anyone making donations can offset such donations against taxes. The Foundation is registered in the US under the 501{3}c - details on website. http://www.projectlasamer.com. All external donations go directly to those in need as Foundation directors cover admin costs themselves.

Bob Hildreth can be e-mailed at Agua@volcris.com or PLA@volcris.com
His Tel No. is 1 809 586 6516 (this is his work office - Compra Venta Antonio). He speaks English and Spanish.
Donations from outside DR (Cheques, cash or clothing etc) should be sent via Business Mail in Miami:
Project Las Americas (BM 3-00043)
3508 NW 114 Av
Doral, Florida 33178

(The BM number indicates it is for the DR & will ensure post/packages are forwarded on here without further notification being necessary).

ANYONE coming here on holiday & wanting to donate their holiday clothing (this will make more room for Dominican Rum or cigars to be taken back home) ........................... Your donation will be gratefully received.
Anyone wanting to send a cheque (£'s, U$D's, Euros are all fine as they can be exchanged quite easily) can send these to the above Business Mail address. If a receipt is required, just mark the letter/enclosure accordingly with a return address please.

Any other information or details required, please contact Bob Hildreth direct. I am already involved with another charity & would not want to have to dilute my present work by taking on another one!

Thanks in hope & anticipation ~ Grahame.
(By the way - Puerto Plata is not YET cut off from the rest of the country - one road to Santiago is still open ........ JUST!!)[/b]
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Return to Dominican Republic