It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 01:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Dominican Republic

DR cost of living

DR cost of living

Postby Dave » Fri 19 Oct 2007 04:22 GMT

[Separated by Site Admin from an earlier discussion - to make the information easier to find for those coming after. ;-) - Dave]

I know it can be a horses for courses thing and it's down to the individual, but can you give me a baseline on certain issues to give me a comparator with the UK or even Europe?
Last edited by Dave on Fri 19 Oct 2007 18:20 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 19 Oct 2007 04:23 GMT

DRAddict wrote:As you say, horses for courses. Depends on what you like, what you can make do with & what you are prepared to make for yourself. Imported goods - very expensive! Home produced meat & veg stuff - all fairly inexpensive & definitely free of unwanted chemicals!!
Food shopping for us (2 adults & a dog that considers itself human) RD $8,000 per month (US $230)
Cars are expensive to buy - Mitsubishi Montero 2000 around US $15/16K
Petrol US $4 per gallon (4 pints, not imperial)
Road tax - ridiculously cheap .... US $30 up to US $100 depending on AGE of car.
Insurance - cheap for TPFT, fairly expensive for Comp.
House Insurance about US $800 per year

We live very comfortably on under US $2,000 per month but then we HAVE bought our house & we know the less expensive places to shop. Further, we are not seen as 'Gringos' anymore & are therefore not charged 'Gringo' prices. I would think US $3,500 would suffice for a family of 5 who were renting a property in a relatively upmarket area.

I hope that gives you (& others) a reasonable guideline for now.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 19 Oct 2007 04:28 GMT

Graeme, a quick question on your gallons: are they US gallons? If so, they're slightly more than four-fifths of an Imperial gallon - they're still eight pints, but the US pint has only 16 fl oz instead of 20. Just to confuse matters, the US fluid ounce is ever so slightly bigger than the Imperial one.

(In metric, the Imperial gallon is 4.546 litres, the US gallon is 3.742.)
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby DRAddict » Fri 19 Oct 2007 05:55 GMT

Gallons here are based SOLELY on the US equivalent i.e Four pints to the gallon. ~ Grahame ........ (spelled in an English way rather than Scottish or pseudo American way!:P !)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 19 Oct 2007 18:13 GMT

Graeme, the US pint is 16 of their fluid ounces. Their gallon is eight, not four, of their pints.

Wikipedia: the pint

If you're getting only four pints to your gallon, then I think you need to complain to someone - if you think it'll do any good :roll: :wink:
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby DRAddict » Fri 19 Oct 2007 18:24 GMT

Dave wrote:Graeme, the US pint is 16 of their fluid ounces. Their gallon is eight, not four, of their pints.

Wikipedia: the pint

If you're getting only four pints to your gallon, then I think you need to complain to someone - if you think it'll do any good :roll: :wink:

My error - was posting in haste & not thinking straight :oops: . However, I can STILL spell my name correctly ........ AND yours Dave. Perhaps you are confusing me with the 'other' Graeme?:( ~ GraHame.

PS. Do I take it that you took various comments out of their original threads so as to make additional threads with NEW titles? Perhaps you could let me know when you are doing so in future & then I will not get confused & wonder what is happening to my threads? Thanks ~ Grahame :shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 19 Oct 2007 18:44 GMT

Oops! :oops: :oops: Sorry, Grahame - having had people spell my surname incorrectly so often, I know how annoying it can be. My apologies!

I've PMed you about the separation of postings. Again, quite right - I should have made clear what was going on. Apologies for not keeping you informed.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Dominican Republic