It is currently Mon 21 Oct 2019 10:10 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Dominican Republic

looking at Retiring to Dominican Republic

looking at Retiring to Dominican Republic

Postby Kathleen » Thu 25 Oct 2007 20:59 GMT

Hello
I feel I know Grahame quite well through reading the posting!! :)
As we are nearing retirement age we are looking to spend some time abroad to find our haven... or heaven.. as the case may be..!! We still have our youngest sons ( twins ) living with us... they are up for travelling ( thinking it will be an easy life.. we have told them otherwise!!) they are not settled here being 21 and feeling their way in the world.. Dominican Republic sounds like us.. layed back, easy going and kind...
I work with people with learning difficulties.. and my husband is an Artist (landscapes)
We need to see what is out there and wonder if DR is the place for us, any guidence or information on how we could work out there would be great.
My husband has 4 more years before he retires when he is 65.. something he does not admit to and not a grey hair in his head.. honistly..!!! I can take retirement next year.
Any information would be helpful - also weather conditions and seasons?
Kind Regards,
Kathleen
Posted by:
Kathleen

Re: looking at Retiring to Dominican Republic

Postby DRAddict » Mon 29 Oct 2007 05:09 GMT

Hello Kathleen, & welcome to British ExPats forum (Dominican Style!!).
For the safety of all concerned I will refrain from bursting into "I'll take you home again Kathleen......" She who must be Obeyed & dog are suitably thankful for that!!

Lets take your questions one by one -

Kathleen wrote:I feel I know Grahame quite well through reading the posting!! :)

Sounds like you could have had a few nightmares then!!

I try to make this forum a friendly, chatty place where people can ask what they want & not get shouted at. Anything of a personal nature people are free to e-mail me about.

Kathleen wrote:As we are nearing retirement age we are looking to spend some time abroad to find our haven... or heaven.. as the case may be..!!

Heaven to some ....... HELL to others. It really depends on your needs, expectaions & attitude of mind. Those that integrate tend to survive the onslaught of a new culture - those that try to bring Wigan with them ...... generally fail & go back 'Home' (to high taxes, Governmental interference ............ - may God protect them!!).

Read Ginnie's website www.ginniebedggood.com for some good articles & then (if you feel so inclined) get her book & read that. At the end of all this reading, you should have a clearer idea of why we LOVE this country & something more about if it is likely to be for you too.

THEN come visit for a couple of weeks (2 or 3 times!!!) staying FIRST in an All-Inclusive but getting out & about) then into a local B & B or similar.

Kathleen wrote:We still have our youngest sons ( twins ) living with us... they are up for travelling ( thinking it will be an easy life.. we have told them otherwise!!) they are not settled here being 21 and feeling their way in the world..

Keep the boys OUT of the country to start off with, the pretty girls will turn their heads & influence too highly their objectivity!!

If you tell me what their interests are (other than 19/20/21 year old girls) then I can advise if such interests can be met, where to find them & ......
HOW MUCH MONEY THAT IS GOING TO COST DAD!!

Kathleen wrote:Dominican Republic sounds like us.. layed back, easy going and kind...

Not laid back Kathleen ............. HORIZONTAL!!
This can be extremely frustrating for those not prepared to accept Dominican Time-scales (late by an hour is still 'On Time' here) & so are the levels of workmanship - especially to those who are perfectionists. MY Father (ex ARMY) would have had a heart attack within 5 days!@!

Kathleen wrote:I work with people with learning difficulties..

How many ExPats can you visit a day??? :lol:

Seriously, if your Spanish is reasonable I think you could find work here. Voluntary to start off with (I know a few charities you could approach) but something bringing in a little income would doubtless follow.

Kathleen wrote:and my husband is an Artist (landscapes)

I'll introduce him to our American Doctor friend. Jim has just been commissioned by a hotel here to do 60 (yes SIXTY) paintings for them. Certainly there is plenty of good scenery to do landscapes & the local artists are not too hot on proper perspectives!! Might be a market with some of the more exclusive 'Tourist Gift Shops'!!

Kathleen wrote:We need to see what is out there and wonder if DR is the place for us, any guidence or information on how we could work out there would be great.

As stated above, read the articles, the book & do some 'Googling'. Ginnie does a weekly round up of news on her website so make sure you keep up-to-date with that.

Kathleen wrote:My husband has 4 more years before he retires when he is 65..

Sounds a sensible time-scale. Learn the language, feel the custom & culture & come prepared. If you NEED to move some money out of the UK to off-set what Inland Revenue might be thinking of keeping for themselves, we can talk on that further down the line!!

Kathleen wrote: - also weather conditions and seasons?

[/quote]
As Per UK - four seasons to the year - just a lot hotter.

Spring starts around end Feb time & goes on (at mid/upper 70's) until about May. Summer is until end October with temps getting up to high 90's - Sept & October tend to be a lot more humid months & the Hurricane season is generally September until end November. Be advised that the north coast has not suffered a serious direct hit for about 40 years. You can google hits to other parts of the country - mainly the east & south coast - but these are livable with as long as you are not 'Beach Front' property &/or in low lying terrain! (water tends to run down hill in the DR!!)
October & November is a sort of Autumn (back to low/mid 80's whilst in December & January it gets very cold at low 70's.

If you go into 'links' on my website (www.casabush.org) & look up the CIA link https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fa ... os/dr.html, you should be able to look at their synopsis for weather conditions.

Okay - that's your lot for this epistle. Come back after all your reading (I will be setting exam questions!) & ask the specific questions that these articles, journals etc will generate. :wink: ~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

DR

Postby Kathleen » Mon 29 Oct 2007 16:41 GMT

Hello and thanks for your welcome and for all your info..

So its '' all inclusive '' eh!!!.. we should give it a go.. still reading through your reply... Its a pity my Artist husband coudn't be a Doctor in his spare time!!! there's a thought.!!!

On a serious note all your advice is spot on..
We shall mull it all over - look at websites - and you never know... !!
AI first priority!!

Ha! your showing your age with the song!!!!

Oh the lads are into football... Newcastle United!!! (A Goerdie family!!!!)...they play 5 a side league... missed their vocation I fear.. data input is a very boring job!!! they will have to learn Spanish and get their coaching cert...

Thanks again for your advice...hope to be asking more questions later.

kind regards.

Kathleen
Posted by:
Kathleen

Re: DR

Postby DRAddict » Mon 29 Oct 2007 17:28 GMT

Kathleen wrote:Hello and thanks for your welcome and for all your info..

Ha! your showing your age with the song!!!!

Not at ALL Kathleen. I used to sing (2nd base) with the High Wycombe Orpheus Male Voice Choir & this was one in our repertoire!!! I am an extremely young 63 & getting younger each round of golf I play!!

Kathleen wrote:Oh the lads are into football... Newcastle United!!! (A Goerdie family!!!!)...they play 5 a side league.

Tell the Lads "Yes that's the way I heard Newcastle United played - 11 men playing like a five-a-side team"!:lol: !:twisted: ! :roll: ~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Kathleen » Tue 30 Oct 2007 15:40 GMT

Hello
oooh... that was below the belt!!!..Newcastle Unnited finishing in the top 7 this season we hope!!!

Your wife's book looks interesting.. thinking of reading it.. or will it put me off living in th DR completely?..

I am not frightened of hard facts.. I think you need to know everything good or bad about a place..

I am sure your singing voice is wonderful - I can hear the harmony now, brings tears to my eyes.. :) youve taken me back to years ago when we used to go and see the Felling Male voice choir sing... ( they still do it).. beautifully. all the Irish melodies from way back... ahhhhh

well must get on, things to do and mouths to feed..

Kind Regards
Kathleen.
Posted by:
Kathleen

Return to Dominican Republic