It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 07:52 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Dominican Republic

coco's restaurant Santo Domingo

coco's restaurant Santo Domingo

Postby jwn » Thu 3 Jan 2008 20:25 GMT

can anyone help?im trying ti find a workable e-mail/website/phone number for the British restaurant in the colonial district.if anyone can help that would be awesome.many thanks
Posted by:
jwn

Re: coco's restaurant Santo Domingo

Postby DRAddict » Mon 14 Jan 2008 19:15 GMT

jwn wrote:can anyone help?im trying ti find a workable e-mail/website/phone number for the British restaurant in the colonial district.if anyone can help that would be awesome.many thanks

Hello jwn & welcome to the DR forum. Apologies for the late response to your enquiry but I had a computer glitch (loading all data VERY slowly) & had to reformat my drive ....... loosing some important links along the way of course!!
(for those who know me read ...... had a small computer problem but needed to spend more time on the golf course over the Christmas holidays!!).

Extensive enquiries on the South Coast (I e-mailed someone who knows someone who .............) has elicited the following:

Coco's closed see below. This is where they used to be

Coco's

-------Original Message-------

Hi ............
they closed down about 2 years ago - I don't know where they are now but the initial rumour was that they were still in the DR and were planning to open a place in a tourist area.

Hope you can get something by following any leads in the link shown above & sorry I couldn't get more this time to help you. I also hope you aren't trying to find 'Aunt Clara', 'Liam O'flaughty' or 'Anthony Bisham' as this good fellow is now deceased! ~ Grahame.

Anyone down south in DR reading here???
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby jwn » Mon 14 Jan 2008 20:44 GMT

hello Draddict,thanks for taking the time too respond and thanks for the info gathered,i guess the restaurant being closed for two years explains the absence of a contact!! such a shame. I have visited the D.R a couple of times recently albeit in the 'velvet prisons' hotel/resorts.But i took the time to explore via bus/taxi/flip-flop to get a glimpse what the local life is like.Dominicans are THE nicest people iv met, they had patience with my awful spanglish(think a spanish version of the policeman from hellohello) and were just as nice,if not nicer when they realised i was a scruffy,poor English man rather than a rough round the edges,big tipping American.

Anyway too get too the point,im a young-ish(23) chef,i was most interested in the Coco restaurant for a possible oppurtunity to get some work experience there,see the sights,explore,improve my Spanish,just for the remote chance i may be able to experience life for a while living in such a beautiful place!

If anyone on this forum hears anything about the former owners pls p.m me or contact me jwn2@hotmail.co.uk. Iv worked/working in michelin restaurants but im cheap(a bed and maybe a few presidentie's).

Thanks again DRaddict for the response and help,enjoy the golf,sunshine,people and thanks one last time for actualy responding and being helpful too not only me but others on this forum,a rare thing these days!if you,or anyone else on this forum can throw me even a whiff of a bone about the forementioned subject i'd be eternaly grateful(plus i travel light so theres loads of room for marmite,yorkshire tea and even guiness!!)
Posted by:
jwn

Postby DRAddict » Mon 14 Jan 2008 22:24 GMT

jwn wrote: Anyway too get too the point,im a young-ish(23) chef,i was most interested in the Coco restaurant for a possible oppurtunity to get some work experience there,see the sights,explore,improve my Spanish,just for the remote chance i may be able to experience life for a while living in such a beautiful place!

If anyone on this forum hears anything about the former owners pls p.m me or contact me jwn2@hotmail.co.uk. Iv worked/working in michelin restaurants but im cheap(a bed and maybe a few presidentie's).

Many Dominican;s are good chefs too jwn & in need of a job. I say that not to be rude, just for you to keep in mind when applying for positions!!

As a rule, most positions are filled by personal application to the owner/manager of the establishment. If you have a brother or sister or influential friend that KNOWS the owner/manager ......... so much the better.

Can you get a 'Last Minute Deal' out of the UK - maybe around :ate April/early May time JUST as the season is starting? Cheap flight or All Inclusive for about £500 or less?? Come to the north Coast, visit the better restaurants over in Cabarete &/or chat with the UPPER class hotels who cater for the more discerning clientelle & see if you can get yourself a job promise!! MIGHT be worth two weeks of travlling & graft just to make a few contats??

I agree with you about the Dominicans ............... been here 17 years & still loving them!! ~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Return to Dominican Republic