It is currently Tue 10 Dec 2019 12:46 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Dominican Republic

Moving to DR

Moving to DR

Postby Trev&Linda » Fri 25 Apr 2008 10:09 GMT

Hi, hola

We will shortly be visiting to look at properties in DR and looking at the EX Pat website we have taken on board your comments about renting first before buying. At the moment we live in Spain and there are numerous scams and problems going on in the property market. Is there any such problems going on in the DR that we should be aware of before we go ahead and purchase.

What is the state of the property market at the moment, is it like Spain, UK and USA in recession or is it alright over there. Also can you advise should we get a surveyor to look at the property, in Spain this is not always done.

Having lived in Spain for a while we are not too bad with the language and have learnt to be patient and manana tolerant, so we think we are halfway there. Spain is getting expensive and crime is increasing so we cannot wait to get over there and see how you guys do it.

Many thanks for any advice.
Posted by:
Trev&Linda

Re: Moving to DR

Postby DRAddict » Mon 28 Apr 2008 05:23 GMT

Firstly Trev & Linda, welcome to British ExPat & the Dominican Republic forum. My apologies for the delay in responding - yesterday was a BAD day in that I visited the local physio I use & he worked his anger out on my hip/rear end (the sciatic nerve has been playing nasties with me recently) & his ministrations left me in complete agony when sitting down at the computer!!

Secondly (& as an explanation to other readers) this is likely to be a bit confusing when I answer as you are already in conversation with "She who must be Obeyed" by e-mail. I will reply to ALL points you raise on this forum for the benefit of others who might find the responses useful/helpful, so if I duplicate what you have already heard from "'er in doors", please understand the reason for the duplication.

Trev&Linda wrote:We will shortly be visiting to look at properties in DR and looking at the EX Pat website we have taken on board your comments about renting first before buying.

This is a great start .......... LOOK but do NOT BUY!! I always recommend that people wishing to relocate to any country rent for 6/9 months at least before thinking of buying. MANY reasons for this but the main ones are:
1. You need to make sure the country is right for YOU & YOU are right for the country - it doesn't suit everyone!!
2. This is a country of face to face contacts when doing business. You need to have good contacts in place to let the sellers (especially their selling agents!!) that you know your way around & have the contacts around you to ensure you are not ripped off!!
3. You need to know WHICH area suits you best & this can not be done by a flying visit or two. Many try to do this of course - most end up regretting dealing in haste.

Trev&Linda wrote:At the moment we live in Spain and there are numerous scams and problems going on in the property market. Is there any such problems going on in the DR that we should be aware of before we go ahead and purchase.

VERY easy answer ............ YES!! Miguel Vargas is one of the Presidential candidates for 16th May!! Incorrect Land Titles, duplicated Land Titles, corrupt &/or unscrupulous lawyers, inefficiency in lawyers diligence ......... these are just the tip of the iceberg & another good reason for you to take your time in buying to ensure you get the right people doing the paperwork CORRECTLY for you.

Trev&Linda wrote:What is the state of the property market at the moment, is it like Spain, UK and USA in recession or is it alright over there..
It is still a Buyers Market despite what you might hear from Estate Agents. Buying is easy .......... selling is much more difficult & can take up to 6 or 7 YEARS!! No, I do not believe prices are receding - in fact due to the influx of 'wet behind the ears' newbies, prices are still rising for the unaware buyers!! :oops:

Trev&Linda wrote: Also can you advise should we get a surveyor to look at the property, in Spain this is not always done...

It is not essential to get a surveyor involved but a GOOD independent & knowledgeable person to look the place over & give his assessment would be advisable. I know of a couple (one is a surveyor, the other is a designer/builder) who would give this advice & probably at a very reasonable rate!!

Trev&Linda wrote:Having lived in Spain for a while we are not too bad with the language and have learnt to be patient and manana tolerant, so we think we are halfway there...

Excellent that you have Spanish - this will put you light years ahead of most ExPats here & ALL the new relocators!! Having an understanding of the Mañana culture is also beneficial to not getting apoplexy &/or suffering a serious heart attack when dealing with some of the bureaucracy used here when buying houses or getting services installed!! :shock:

Trev&Linda wrote:Spain is getting expensive and crime is increasing so we cannot wait to get over there and see how you guys do it...

Crime is not a problem to those who know how to 'fly under the radar' or keep a low profile. The increase of drugs staying in the country HAS led to an increase in crime (house robberies, street theft, scams & ATM fraud etc) but as long as all reasonable precautions are taken so as to pre-empt the possibilities of any of the aforementioned taking place, then crime is definitely less than in most European major towns & cities!!

When are you thinking of moving over here? Will you be looking for some form of employment once you are here or do you anticipate using your skills to help the local charities/schools etc? Golf three days a week is fun (sciatic nerves permitting) but more than that can cause serious depreciation of the brain cells!! Further, we have found that the more you put IN to the country the return ratio of what the country gives BACK to you in terms of acceptance, respect & friendship, is quadrupled at least!! Let me know if there are questions on this matter that you would like to have answered.

OK, I'm off to rest a sore sciatic nerve on what looks like a very welcoming bed now! ~ Grahame. :lol:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby Trev&Linda » Mon 28 Apr 2008 14:58 GMT

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply, I have replied to Ginnie so you have probably read that also.

Sorry you are not feeling well at the moment, you are obviously going to the wrong witch doctor.

We are looking to move to DR at the end of the year, probably December but not looking for work, we are 55 and 54, retired early and just enjoying it now. I have often thought about playing golf but never got round to it, always too busy but who knows, I may start now.

You mentioned charity work. We would love to do something in that respet once we are setled in. Like yourselves we feel the more you put into the country the more you get back and hopefully we can do that. Not sure what we can do unless you want an oil well drilling

Have a good day.........Linda and Trev
Posted by:
Trev&Linda

Return to Dominican Republic