It is currently Wed 18 Jul 2018 06:55 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Pakistan – Quick Quiz
    It's the ancestral home of nearly one in 50 Britons and the world's only Muslim nuclear power. But what else do you know about Pakistan? Try our Quick Quiz and find out!

Angola

Angola - Anyone had any experience

babies in luanda

Postby poppy » Thu 12 Apr 2007 19:59 GMT

hi

my husband has the possibilty of being posted to Luanda for an indefinate time. we have a 7 month old baby boy and i was wondering how good an idea it was for the baby and i to come to luanda too. it would be a great opportunity for my husband but i have concerns for our baby. if anyone could fill me in on their thoughts? does anyone else have any young children with them?

please help!!

thank you,

poppy
Posted by:
poppy

Postby bluemint » Tue 17 Apr 2007 19:51 GMT

Hi there,

My husband and I just moved to Luanda with our 2yr old. It is safe enough and you can get most of the essentials for a baby pretty easily although some things like nappies are very expensive. Childcare is very difficult because the good nurseries are full and it's nigh on impossible to get an English speaking nanny. We are taking Portuguese lessons but it'll be a while before we get the hang of the basics.

We are finding it hard to meet new people as we live outside the city. Are there any clubs or organised events (also for little kids) at weekends? Would love to hear from anyone.

Cheers,

bluemint
Posted by:
bluemint

Expats in Luanda

Postby charles » Wed 25 Apr 2007 17:04 GMT

HI All, taking up a new position in Luanda in due time and just want to find out a couple of things, the size of the expat community, expat wifes clubs, stuff to do over week-ends, i think that is probably enough asked for now.
Posted by:
charles

Postby eviep » Fri 27 Apr 2007 09:14 GMT

Hi Charles,

i haven't had any reply to anything i've asked - done a lot of surfing tho!

when are you guys due to move out?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
eviep
Free member

Angola

Postby charles » Sat 28 Apr 2007 11:03 GMT

i will be coming to angola in a couple of weeks and then my wife will join me at a later stage. haven't seen a lot off information based websites about angola yet, just the sites from the relocation company, cia, Angolan embassy and that sorts.

but these doesn't give you that much of information re housing, etc.

are yourself due to move to angola still?

this is just to get in contact with the local expat community not to get there and not able to get into the community. as always the people in the office are usually rotators and all that they do is work......
Posted by:
charles

Move to Angola

Postby eviep » Sun 29 Apr 2007 15:55 GMT

Hi Charles

Yes, both my partner and i will be moving out - we haven't got a date yet but anticpiate it being by the middle of July.

we will be staying for the duration so like you want to know anything that goes on. I wont be working which for me will be a completely new experience and i know that my partner is eager for me to be occupied whilst he is as work.

And probably like you, we want to be in touch with people that will talk about things other than work,

if you fancy more of a chat, you can mail me on eviep@hotmail,com

cheers

-yvonne
:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
eviep
Free member

Postby charles » Fri 4 May 2007 09:24 GMT

Yvonne

Once I am in Angola and made contact with others, will drop you an e-mail as that will be even better than the posting board at this stage i think.

Best regards
Charles
Posted by:
charles

Postby eviep » Fri 4 May 2007 10:34 GMT

Hope you enjoy your trip - keep in touch

-yvonne :D
Posted by:
eviep
Free member

life in luanda

Postby georgia » Tue 24 Jul 2007 12:35 GMT

Hi

I've already been told that is best to have a baby somewhere else. So I'm looking to go to Lisbon or Johannesburg to have no 2, if we do decide to go to Luanda.

We are also faced with question whether we should live in Luanda city or Luanda Sul. We have a young family so I think Luanda Sul it's probably best, but we were told that people who live in Luanda Sul have school age children, is that right? Are there any toddler/ baby groups in Luanda? If so where are they based?

I don't want to be stuck in house with 2 children all day....

How easy it is to get a Portuguese specking nanny? I've been in UK for over 10yrs and married a Scott but I'm Portuguese.

Any info on life in Luanda would be very helpful as we are still at decision stage!

Thanks
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

We could be off to Luanda too!

Postby Lollypolly » Tue 24 Jul 2007 19:11 GMT

Hi Georgia (and everyone else!)

My husband has been offered a posting for 2 years in Luanda too. We have a daughter who is 2 years 9 months and are thinking about a second child (who would be born in the UK - we live in Scotland at the moment).

I would be interested too in finding out about mother and toddler / baby groups and nurseries (I think there's a good one in the Swedish compound but can't find any more info). We're off on an LSD (look, see, decide) trip in September (after all those jabs - ouch!) so hope to have some answers then but if anyone can help in the meantime, please post!

TTFN
Posted by:
Lollypolly

Toddlers

Postby georgia » Thu 26 Jul 2007 09:40 GMT

Hi TTFN

We are also in scotland at moment -having a cold summer!

We had the chance to speak with a friend that's already there. It seams that in Atlantica sul (a compound in Luanda Sul) there are toddler groups and easy to make friends. That's GOOD!

The down side is there isn't any accomodation available there. We were told that getting visas sorted out can be a nightmare. So time scale might change.

We were also told that you supermarket bill can be $3000 to $4000 a month! Money is not as good as we thought.

The big plus is that children have great time. She told her her daughter loves it out there.

Since you are in Scotland if you want to get in touch let me know we are in ABZ.

Georgia
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

Postby Lollypolly » Thu 26 Jul 2007 11:53 GMT

Hi Georgia

Thanks for replying - sounds quite positive (except for the housing situation!)

I am in Aberdeen too - I work at Garthdee and we live just off South Deeside Road. Where are you? How old is your little one? When's the next one due? Maybe we should meet up.....?
Posted by:
Lollypolly

Postby georgia » Thu 26 Jul 2007 12:50 GMT

Hi

we live in west end. I've got 15month boy. You can email me at tania_vidinha@yahoo.co.uk.
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

Postby eviep » Thu 26 Jul 2007 17:08 GMT

Hi Ladies,

I have just arrived, been here a week - in from Scotland too. Dont have any children here as ours are grown up.

I agree that the Visa situation is long and drawn out and the injections - well, we had ours done in Egypt. I actually had the last yellow fever jab available in the country!

We have been looking at properties out of town, they are really expensive - new and very nice but wow! We will not be far from a new shopping complex - only opened in March. It has a large supermarket with a 10 screen cinema complex. You can even get your nails done..

Weather is quite pleasant - not raining which is a huge bonus!! As i find out things, i will post on the site.

Take care

-yvonne
Posted by:
eviep
Free member

Postby Lollypolly » Thu 26 Jul 2007 19:35 GMT

Hi all

Thanks for your post Evie - and please let us know how you settle in! I've got jabs next week in Aberdeen and a visit to Luanda around 10th Sept. DH's company is taking care of visas so fingers crossed.

Slightly concerned about housing and cost of living (especially as I will have to give up my job to go and therefore be financially dependent on DH, which I'm sure I'm not really going to enjoy - and neither will he ;)) but the more I hear about Angola, the better is seems to be.

Tania, I'll drop you an email in the next couple of days.
Posted by:
Lollypolly

PreviousNext

Return to Angola