It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:52 GMT
Change font size

Family and Pets

Living in Paradise

Post here about issues relating to family and pets.

Living in Paradise

Postby lowenna » Sun 27 Aug 2006 10:02 GMT

Looking for info for my brother, I stumbled upon this site. Something I've been looking for. I've been on a couple of Cornish boards but sometimes they get bogged down with Cornish politics, This, hopefully will be more refreshing. I've lived in Oz for 36 years. most of that time, in Williamstown the Melbourne suburb. retired to Merimbula in 1999, and it's bliss, very much like where I lived in Cornwall so I couldn't be happier. The info I was looking for was, can my brother use his disability card while he's out here. He's offially blind, but likes getting out on buses etc. he's coming out to spend Christmas with us, he's been out before, but this will be his first trip on his own, he loves a challenge.
Posted by:
lowenna

Postby SSue » Mon 28 Aug 2006 14:40 GMT

Hi lowenna,

Well he could give it a try, but quite honestly I doubt that his UK pass will be recognised on any transport system in aus.

I don't know whether you could get him a temporary one, but that would include some paperwork, and a visit to a doctor (usually your own GP) who has to sign that he can verify the blindness, even though it will be obvious. Then it comes a few weeks later in the post - how long will he be here?

I've been through this whole procedure with my Mum, so I speak from experience.

SSue 8)

Your post was moved, as it has nothing whatever to do with NSW.
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby lowenna » Tue 29 Aug 2006 00:41 GMT

Yes I think it will be doubtful that my brother will be able to use his disability card out here, as for getting a medical, he's only here for about 6 weeks, so not worth doing that. Come to think about it, he can't use it inter county, in the UK. which is ridiculous really, Like he said, "all of a sudden, I'm not blind when I leave Cornwall" :roll:
Posted by:
lowenna

Return to Family and Pets