It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:58 GMT
Change font size

Family and Pets

Cats In Australia

Post here about issues relating to family and pets.

Cats In Australia

Postby paul coffey » Thu 31 Aug 2006 18:07 GMT

Hi
I'm wondering if anybody can help us out. We're hoping to move to Queensland and I've been told that when you're cats have been through quarantine they then have to stay shut indoors or kept in an outside cage. Is this true?
Please feel free to e-mail me on: carol.paulcoffey@tiscali.co.uk
Posted by:
paul coffey

Postby SSue » Fri 1 Sep 2006 10:38 GMT

Hi Paul,

First I've heard of it. Maybe they are talking about initially when you bring your cat home out of quarantine. You would need to keep it confined in some way, just for a short while, in case it just ran off. It would be no different to moving house/towns in UK.....you'd make sure that the cat was familiar with its new territory, before letting it run free.

You could give a pet carrier/transporter a call and see what they say, if you're still worried.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby tonyeac » Wed 29 Nov 2006 05:43 GMT

Hi Paul

I moved to Melbourne 2 years ago. My three cats came too and they stayed in quarantine for approx 1 month. They cost more to move than me and my wife.

I moved into rental property for the first year and of course I had to get
permission to keep the cats in the property on the understanding that any damage would be paid for and that flea treatment would be paid for when I left.

The cats have to be chipped and registered with the local council. Approx $40 per cat per year for registration. Also because there was three cats I had to get permission from all my new neighbours. One or two cats would be OK.

The rules are different from state to state, but Victoria says that cats should stay in your boundary and be kept in at night to protect the local wildlife. Australia is not a cat friendly country. A lot of people have dogs and quite often the dogs live their whole life outdoors. You are encouraged to keep the cats inside or in a cat run of some kind.

My cats however are living exactly as they did in the UK, and they don't try too much to get out of the garden because On each side we have barking dogs which the cats go out of their way to wind up. All in all I am glad I brought them here but if I knew the OZ atitude to cats I would probably not.

If you can bring your cat and keep it in the confines of the garden then I think it should be OK to keep it as you wish.
Posted by:
tonyeac

Postby SSue » Wed 29 Nov 2006 11:02 GMT

I've lived in NSW for the last twenty eight years, and always had two cats until a couple of years ago.

They now have to be microchipped and desexed, and owners are encouraged to keep their cats in at night, to save our precious wildlife. Otherwise most cats are allowed their freedom during daylight hours.

You will find owners of expensive breeds will either keep their cats inside or have outside runs for them.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Return to Family and Pets