It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:30 GMT
Change font size

Family and Pets

Is it fair to take my dogs?

Post here about issues relating to family and pets.

Is it fair to take my dogs?

Postby cazb221 » Thu 18 Jan 2007 20:00 GMT

Help! Moving to Oz very soon and desperately want to take my two 5yr old dogs with me (they are part of the family) but is it fair to them with the stress of the flights and the quarantine and then the climate shock out there? I just don't know what to do.
Posted by:
cazb221

Postby SSue » Sat 20 Jan 2007 01:23 GMT

Hi Caz,

Can't be much help I'm afraid. It's a very tough question. Maybe the cost would be the deciding factor, as it works out to be approx the same as a human, all up.

We had to find homes for two cats before we left, as we couldn't possibly afford to bring them. It's not easily decided.

Best wishes,

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Re: Is it fair to take my dogs?

Postby st/ce » Tue 12 Jun 2007 16:27 GMT

Cazb221: What did you decide to do we are taking our 3 year old dog.The vet said he would be fine with the flight and quarantine, although now we are getting nearer to going i am wondering about climate change. If there is anyone already made the move with there pet have you any advice.
Posted by:
st/ce

Postby SSue » Wed 13 Jun 2007 00:29 GMT

I certainly wouldn't let the climate change be a deciding factor. The dog will cope with the warmer weather, just the same as it does in a UK heatwave, and depending where you live in Aus, the winters will be much warmer.

We have exactly the same breeds of dogs here, as in UK, (you can even have a husky if you want one), and lots of people help their dogs to adjust to the heat in summer by having them clipped. You see a lot of funny looking dogs with shaved bodies walking around, even labs and collies. Dod groomers make a fortune here, charging up to $160 to clip a large dog.

I've known people that have brought their dog and cats here, and they've all been fine.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby st/ce » Wed 13 Jun 2007 09:29 GMT

[quote removed by Site Admin - please read our guidelines. - Dave]

Thanks for putting my mind at ease 1 less thing to worry about.
Posted by:
st/ce

Return to Family and Pets