It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:40 GMT
Change font size

Family and Pets

To visit or not

Post here about issues relating to family and pets.

To visit or not

Postby cas3 » Sat 14 Jul 2007 09:18 GMT

I'm taking my two Golden Retrievers with me to Adelaide. Please will someone who has taken their dogs over give me some advice. I don't know whether to visit them in quarantine or not. They will hopefully be in Melbourne..i will be in Adelaide so i would'nt be able to visit daily anyway. Will it distress them more if i visit occassionally? Will they settle into a routine better if i don't visit at all? I will desperately worry and miss them but i want to do the best thing for them.

Help...any advice based on experience or any animal phsychologists out there....all advice welcome.
Posted by:
cas3

Postby SSue » Sat 14 Jul 2007 23:35 GMT

Hi Cas,

The really good thing is they have each other for company. I can more or less assure you, that you will miss them a lot more than they will fret for you (sorry, but personal experience from leaving mine at the kennels the first few times. She was having a ball, while I was worrying! :roll: ). As long as they are well fed/treated (which of course they will be), they'll be quite OK until the quarantine is over. Remember animals don't have a concept of how long they've been away from you, whether it's days weeks or months even. I think it would be worse for all of you, to visit them and then disappear again. Of course you can ring and have your mind put at ease. Personally I'd leave them alone until you can take them to their new home.

Hope this helps,
SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Thank You

Postby cas3 » Mon 16 Jul 2007 21:19 GMT

Thank you........... what you say makes a lot of sense. I did feel that each time i visited would be raising their hopes. They get on really well and as you say they will be together.
Posted by:
cas3

Return to Family and Pets