It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 22:34 GMT
Change font size

Family and Pets

Strange question about ashes..

Post here about issues relating to family and pets.

Strange question about ashes..

Postby Mrs A » Mon 17 Nov 2008 17:12 GMT

Does anybody know if there are any restrictions on bringing a loved ones ashes with you when moving to Australia? My husband would like bring his parents ashes with us when we come although I am trying to persuade him otherwise :)

Many thanks!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mrs A
Free member

Postby SSue » Mon 17 Nov 2008 23:51 GMT

Hi Mrs A and welcome to BE.

I think it's possible, however I'm sure that there will be explicit rules and regulations that apply. For instance, I doubt that wooden urns would be acceptable, and they would have to be sealed and have the required certification.

I've contacted the Embassy, and await their reply as to what you need to do to carry them safely into the country. Hopefully it won't take too long.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby SSue » Tue 18 Nov 2008 01:50 GMT

Hi Mrs A,

This is the reply I received:

The conditions for bringing human ashes into Australia as part of your personal baggage are:
Human ashes are permitted into Australia.

If the ashes are contained in a container made of wood or other material of quarantine concern the container will need to be declared and subject to inspection on arrival at the airport to ensure the container is free from contaminants such as bark and insect infestation.

To check the container for insect infestation, look closely for holes, sawdust or any signs of boring insects. If signs of insect infestation are found, the wooden item must be treated or re-exported from Australia. Treatment or re-export must be paid for by the importer.

Once passengers arrive in Australia, they are required to complete an Incoming Passenger Card (IPC). On the IPC, they must declare all items of food, animal or plant origin as well as any other articles that are covered on the card (e.g. medicines, wooden articles) - these items are only examples illustrating the types of items that must be declared under each category. All items of food, animal or plant origin must be declared on the IPC for the purpose of inspection by an Australian Quarantine Inspector.

After passengers have collected their luggage, they will be directed to a Quarantine Officer who will inspect any declared items and inspect and/or x-ray any remaining luggage before they depart the international arrivals area.
In short, you would need to declare them, and have them checked out. I thought there would be paperwork needed, but apparently not.

SSue 8)
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Mrs A » Tue 18 Nov 2008 11:38 GMT

Hi Ssue,

Many thanks for your very swift reply! The ashes are not in wooden boxes they are in plastic boxes (that look like the sort of containers that Quality Street chocolates used to come in about 20 years ago!!) so there is no need for the customs men to inspect them for signs of boring insects :)

Stupid question is "personal baggage" the baggage we carry ourselves or can the ashes go in our container of household items? The ashes are quite heavy and bulky (sorry parents-in-law) and I would rather they came in the container by ship than the suitcases we bring by plane. It does surprise me as well that there is no paperwork that we need to have (although we do have the death certificates if required)

Many thanks again for your help, subject is a bit sensitive here at home and it makes life a lot easier that you have helped out so quickly!

Mrs A
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mrs A
Free member

Postby SSue » Wed 19 Nov 2008 00:37 GMT

Hi Mrs A,

Yes, your 'personal baggage' is your luggage that travels with you. I know that sending them in a container might be easier, and I suppose that would make more sense, as you say weight is important. I can't advise you on this.

I would advise you though to check again, before you travel, unless that is very soon, just in case the regulations have changed.

Here's the email address:
Email: airports@aqis.gov.au

SSue 8)
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Return to Family and Pets