It is currently Sun 17 Nov 2019 12:12 GMT
Change font size

Pacific Islands

Earthquakes

Earthquakes

Postby pmforster » Thu 22 Apr 2004 23:50 GMT

In the last 18 hours we've had a couple of earthquakes and lots of little tremors - nothing dramatic, about 5.5 on the Richter scale - just enough to make the house rattle and my beer bottle fall over!. However, I found a very nice web site that does maps of seismic activity. If you're interested it's at:

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Best wishes

Peter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 23 Apr 2004 01:04 GMT

That's a really neat site Peter; I hadn't realised there was that much seismic activity around the world at any one time. I guess you are somewhere under the 5.5 to 6 red circle. Hope all is well, I think your area of the world has had enough problems so far this year.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby pmforster » Sun 25 Apr 2004 00:08 GMT

Graeme wrote:That's a really neat site Peter; I hadn't realised there was that much seismic activity around the world at any one time. I guess you are somewhere under the 5.5 to 6 red circle. Hope all is well, I think your area of the world has had enough problems so far this year.
:)
Graeme

Yes, Vanuatu is part of the 'Pacific ring of fire' because it's in the zone where the Pacific tectonic plate is bumping into the Indo-Australian plate. This means earthquakes, several active volcanoes and tsunamis, as well as the annual cyclone season. Environmentally, it is quite an active country...

Best wishes

Peter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Return to Pacific Islands