It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 07:04 GMT
Change font size

Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines

dual citizenship questions

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to Canada.

dual citizenship questions

Postby mek14 » Tue 17 Jun 2008 17:56 GMT

If my husband and i had dual citizenship (UK and Canada), and decided to move back home to the UK down the line, can you keep dual citizenship?

If so, and we had moved back to the UK, and then had kids there, would they be UK citizens or dual citizens? If UK citizens, could they apply for dual citizenship, or would they need to immigrate to Canada?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mek14
Free member

Postby dearness » Tue 24 Jun 2008 12:23 GMT

Hi there

i think i can answer your question (as someone who's been born in Canada, moved to the UK, had a baby in the UK and is about to move back to Canada, i think i know where you're coming from!)

You can definitely have dual citizenship (Canada and UK). My mother (who was born in the UK and then immigrated to Canada and became a canadian citizen) continues to have 2 passports to this day.

Your children will automatically have citizenship in the country they are born in. However, if you have already become a Canadian citizen, they are also entitled to Canadian citizenship. I had a child in the UK and applied for her Canadian citizenship when she was just a couple months old. It doesn't cost very much and is a fairly simple form. They would not need to immigrate to Canada (they don't get a visa and PR card, but rather citizenship directly) but could chose to do so at a later date if they wished.

HTH,
Karin
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
dearness
Free member

keeping citizenship

Postby Ashli » Mon 4 Aug 2008 12:31 GMT

Hi...please help, I never seem to be able to get a straight answer from the Embassy! :evil:

My burning question is: once citizenship has been obtained (by spending 3 out of 4 years in Canada) do you keep citizenship forever or do you have to maintain it by spending so many days in the country?

I'm getting so confused with all the facts and figures that my little head might explode if I have to read any more. :shock:
Posted by:
Ashli

Re: keeping citizenship

Postby dearness » Mon 4 Aug 2008 12:54 GMT

Firstly, don't panic.

Once you're a Canadian citizen, you're always a citizen, unless you denounce your citizenship (which some countries make you do if you want to become a citizen of their country).

However, if, as a citizen, you spend more than 50% of a fiscal year out of the country, you may be considered a non-resident (for tax and health care privledge). So you may want to be careful about how long you'll be gone, keeping it under 6 months, if you want to retain your right to health care.

If you're away longer than 6 months, you may need to purchase interim health coverage when you return to canada. In Ontario I know you need to purchase it for the first 3 months when you return, then your OHIP coverage kicks back in.

Similarly, you'll need to be careful about where you would file taxes and which country you're actually a resident of. Probably worth calling the income tax dept with your specific questions.

Bottom line, you'll always be a citizen and able to return, it may just cost you.
Posted by:
dearness
Free member

Postby Not-Lorna » Wed 6 Aug 2008 17:12 GMT

Dearness is correct. I have both UK and Canadian citizenship and was out of Canada for 18 years. We returned two years ago and I had no problem returning or getting a new passport. In fact, I got a "Welcome back to Canada"....love this place!!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Return to Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines