It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 18:47 GMT
Change font size

Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines

Canadian baby

Here's the place to discuss all the red tape, rules, and regulations - the hoops you have to jump through before getting to Canada.

Canadian baby

Postby roffey3 » Fri 27 Feb 2009 01:31 GMT

My Husband is duel canadian and british, I am british. We moved to ontario last march with our daughter. We are now expecting our second child which will be born here in canada, will this child have duel citizenship as our other daughter does. I have tried looking on the internet and cant really get a straight answer. Does anyone no?
Posted by:
roffey3

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 27 Feb 2009 14:16 GMT

My understanding is that your husband is British by Descent and that cannot be passed on as it only applies to the first set of children born to the British Parent.

Therefore the new child would just be Canadian and would have to apply for British PR.

However it depends on how your husband got his Canadian or British Citizenship which you do not say.

Was he born British or Canadian and then emigrated with parents to gain citizenship for the other country? If he is naturally British then no probs your child gain dual cit. If he is Canadian then the child will gain dual cit through your birth rights.

If he himself is born a dual cit then your new child will have to be born in UK to gain citizenship unless they get to 18 and choose to take PR in UK.

I hope that makes sense its diff to write down.

E mail the embassy in Ottawa and they will explain it better - they gave me lots of useful info

e.g our children that were born in Canada gain dual cit through my husband and I being British by Birth. But their children will only be Canadian (if born in Canada) as citizenship can only pass through one set of generation when born out of the country.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby john5655 » Sat 28 Feb 2009 01:12 GMT

agree with Caroline

I can add one more comment about the last line, children being born overseas not being able to have their children born overseas and retain UK citizenship. This I believe does not apply to children born overseas whilst in Crown Service. Certainly that was the case when my two were born in 1980s.

I think it helps to realise that dual citizenship is not self perpetuating, so there has to come a time when choice of country to give birth becomes an important decision.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
john5655
Free member

Postby roffey3 » Sat 28 Feb 2009 18:53 GMT

Thank you for your info. My husband and i were both born in England my husband is naturalised? canadian citizen. So that means that this child born in Canada will also have duel citizenship as does our daughter who was born in England?

I normally leave all these things to my husband! Thanks again
Posted by:
roffey3

Postby carolinedraper » Sun 1 Mar 2009 00:21 GMT

if your husband was born in uk then yes, i believe that dual citizenship is ok, but please check with ottawa.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 1 Mar 2009 05:23 GMT

john5655 wrote:children being born overseas not being able to have their children born overseas and retain UK citizenship. This I believe does not apply to children born overseas whilst in Crown Service.

Correct, John - children born to parents on Crown service overseas are deemed to have been born in the UK, and may thus register their children born overseas as UK citizens too.

A word of warning generally: you only have one year to register your child's birth if you're intending to remain overseas indefinitely. After that it gets rather complicated, with UK residency requirements and such like; and once your child reaches 18, the opportunity's lost altogether.

But there's more about all this on the UK legislation board on the main forum.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Immigration/visas/medicals/timelines