It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 23:21 GMT
Change font size

ICT & Electrical Items in Canada

taking my PS3, PS2 and WII to canada, will they work ?

All about Internet service providers, cable and satellite TV, telephones, electrical goods, power supply...

taking my PS3, PS2 and WII to canada, will they work ?

Postby kevinboyden » Wed 14 Apr 2010 21:46 GMT

Hi All,

I am a newbie to this stuff and wanted to take my ps3, ps2 and wii to canada when i go, will they work or do i need to buy a special tv or do something else to make them work??

Cheers all

Kevin
Posted by:
kevinboyden

Postby alexfiona » Thu 15 Apr 2010 21:17 GMT

no they won't work. we had to sell our ps2. Games won't work either- so even if you sell your system and bring your games, it's still no good I'm afraid. They're all region specific and, unlike DVD players that you can now buy that are not tied in to a specific region, sony and nintendo, are still making the hardware that plays the software and they really do have a tight hold on the regions!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
alexfiona
Free member

Re: taking my PS3, PS2 and WII to canada, will they work ?

Postby rohmanns » Fri 16 Apr 2010 15:00 GMT

hi kevin,

it is possible to take your ps2 ps3 and wii.
from reading the forums there are lots of posts on this and the various ways it is possible.
we will be landing in the near future and all our same consoles will be in our goods to follow.
good luck
rohmanns
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rohmanns
Free member

Postby alexfiona » Sun 18 Apr 2010 03:12 GMT

is it really worth it though? If you bought a PAL TV- or brought your PAL TV with you, would you be able to use a DVD player or a cable box with it? Would the voltage allow you to play it here? I would sell my hardware and bring the games (especially if you have lots of games) and try and get a device that allows you to play your UK games on a north American system. We brought quite a few British electronics, primarily because we weren't paying for shipping, and none of it worked when we got here.
Posted by:
alexfiona
Free member

Postby kevinboyden » Sun 18 Apr 2010 07:21 GMT

Hi All

Very many thanks to all of you, Now that we have all of this information I think we will be selling all and buying new when we get there.

Again many thanks for all of your comments

Regards

Kevin
Posted by:
kevinboyden

Postby anon7656 » Thu 22 Apr 2010 09:37 GMT

Hi all,

Afraid I do not agree on the bits about the PS2 and PS3.

I can confirm(I just got back from Toronto...stuck out an extra week due to the Volcano!) that:

1) PS3 absolutely DOES work, its a dual 120/240v....as are the "newer" PS2...all you need is a new power lead(like a kettle lead) and that's it, it converts it straight away

2) PS3 games are NOT region coded(look at the packs, no region code of any kind)....I buy from the USA & Canada(and Japan the odd time) and all work 100%....the DVD/Blue Ray ARE region coded but defo not games.

3) Wii is a different kettle of fish as it does not have a built in converter so will not work without a step down....but again games are NOT region specific.

....how do I know this, well I took my UK PS3 to test in Canada(sad but true) and it worked fine, games as I say you can buy from anywhere in the world and they work.

So another than the Wii(and your TVs which probably are not worth taking as mentioned above...although PCs, laptops and printers are also all good with correct power leads) your consoles are good to go!

Hope this helps
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
anon7656
Supporter

Postby alexfiona » Thu 22 Apr 2010 23:16 GMT

really weird as we have been given PS 3 and Wii games from the UK and they didn't work on our system. I asked my son to run down to the basement and get me a game and on the side of ProEvolution soccer there is a 1- for region 1.
I don't know about the whole voltage thing but we have tried the games from the UK and they just don't work. So what are we doing wrong? There are many games that I would love to buy for my kids from the UK that we don't because of the region thing,also my husband plays many football games that you have to wait for months for them to be available in Canada so if you could enlighten me as to what we need to do to get these games to work, I would be very pleased!
Posted by:
alexfiona
Free member

Postby anon7656 » Fri 23 Apr 2010 00:18 GMT

Hi,

Yes my UK games have a 2 on the back....so that bit was wrong...but it is just for info not for locking.

What kind of TV do you have and how is your PS3 connected to it.

If its not through HDM lead(which does not use PAL or NTSC, its a generic lead, as it a Canadian TV can display UK output) then it should work.

If its through a scart or any other lead that does not convert the PAL signal of your UK PS3 to NTSC then that's your problem....you need a lead like HDMI that is region neutral in its playback.
\Basically your UK PS3 and your Canadian TV are not taling to each other unless you make a certain link with HDMI or a lead that turn PAl in to NTSC...its not the game but the connection.

Also when you hopefully to get things working be aware that any Down Load Content(DLC) has to come from the region it was bought. So any UK games from your UK PSN account and Canadian/US games from a new Canadian PSN account.

Hope this helps...sorry if too techy...I'm a bit of a geek about these things...my wife loves it!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
anon7656
Supporter

British ps3, ps2 and wii in Canada

Postby Kimjay » Mon 20 Dec 2010 20:08 GMT

I have recently moved to Canada, and brought with me, my old 60gb ps3, wii console and ps2. Also a gaming computer.
The ps3, will not work unless you get the power supply changed....if underneath it states voltage as 220 or 240 only then this is what you need to do....I paid $40 to have it change and it works fine now. Games work whether they were bought in England or Canada as they are not regionally coded.
As for the wii, I had no problems with that power wise...it just plugged in with an ordinary travel adapter. The only issues I have with it, is it will not allow the settings to change to Canada as in the countries it does not have Canada or USA, so I cannot use it or the ps3 to watch Netflix etc...I have brought all my own games so am unaware at this point as to the regions.
The ps2 works fine as well but dont think games bought here in Canada will work.
AS for the gaming computer which is an Advent, it is not a brand known in Canada, but if your pc has a red switch on the back by the power supply you can just flick it over to 110 and it should work fine, if not it is the same as the ps3, I had to have a new power supply put it, this cost $110 in Future shop.
Hope this helps you, or others about to move here, as I understand how frustrating it is., you may well have already found all this out by now.
Posted by:
Kimjay

Postby zombee » Tue 26 Mar 2013 20:15 GMT

We sold our WII as it's region locked (only UK games will work on it, unless you're able to successfully hack it), we brought our PS3 and our TV and a few other electricals including a panasonic cd player/ipod dock/dab radio. Only the TV and the HiFi need a transformer, the PS3 works fine on either voltage and ps3 games aren't region locked - dvds/blu-rays can be a bit hit and miss though. even my panasonic stereo works on the lower voltage, we just needed some plug adapters (buy them in the UK, they're far cheaper than here!) - my ps is about 4 or 5 years old too so even though it might say 220/240v it's worth trying :)
Posted by:
zombee

Return to ICT & Electrical Items in Canada