It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 23:09 GMT
Change font size

Driving related questions

border crossing

Cars, licences, driving, insurance, etc

border crossing

Postby smiffy345 » Wed 12 Jun 2013 21:25 GMT

Hi , I'm hoping to work for a canadian broker who hauls freight for a US company and crosses the borders on a regular basis . I'm a brit and i have a criminal record of affray .This happened in the UK in 2011 and I was given a two year conditional discharge . Will this hamper my chances of driving for this broker . I will be living and returning frequetly to my home base in New Brunswick . Can anyone help please . :brickwall:
Posted by:
smiffy345

Postby Graeme » Fri 14 Jun 2013 13:56 GMT

A British record shouldn't follow you in Canada and if it was a conditional discharge and you have done your time without screwing up then it is discharged, gone, none existent anyhow.
However, the US can be very very picky about who they let over their border and they let you go one time and not another; the best bet would be to ask the Americans-good luck getting a meaningful answer from them as well, so much seems to hinge on who you talk to at the border. Top of my head answer is that you should be okay. Just my opinion though and I'm no expert.
Good luck.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby smiffy345 » Sat 15 Jun 2013 19:21 GMT

Thanks Graeme , I have the phone number of a us customs officer at Washington ( dullas airport ) I'm going to phone and ask him . :?
Posted by:
smiffy345

Return to Driving related questions