It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:24 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Health card application

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Health card application

Postby mariekeeler » Fri 13 Oct 2006 10:24 GMT

Can anyone tell me whether the 3 month wait is dated from your landing date, or from the date that you apply for health cover.
In other words, do we have to apply straight away, or can we wait, as long as we provide proof of landing date.

Thanks,
Marie.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mariekeeler
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 13 Oct 2006 12:57 GMT

In our experience, it was taken from our date of arrival (this is in Ontario anyway).

HTH.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby mariekeeler » Sat 14 Oct 2006 13:34 GMT

Thanks Jessica,

Ontario's where we'll be going.

Marie.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mariekeeler
Free member

Postby Beestie » Thu 22 Feb 2007 19:15 GMT

Can anyone let me know whether the 3-month wait in respect of health care applies to Calgary/Alberta?
Posted by:
Beestie
Free member

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 23 Mar 2007 22:36 GMT

I was under the impression that the three month wait has been done away with, or perhaps that's just in some provinces. I'm interested to see more information on this.

I had to manage the three month wait many years ago. It's a simple and not very expensive matter of arranging coverage from the day you arrive, just as if you were getting coverage when you go on holiday. Don't delay getting coverage. Rates can be horrendous, and you would be charged them, during the period you are not covered by the provincial plan.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 23 Mar 2007 22:57 GMT

It seems that the three month waiting period varies from province to province. See the Government of Canada web site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/w ... l-06e.html
which says about new immigrants: Permanent residents in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick have a three-month eligibility waiting period. During this time, you should apply for temporary private, health insurance coverage.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby deppfan64 » Fri 30 Mar 2007 12:12 GMT

Hi

We have been in Ontario since last August but due to the terrible delay with our work permit, received in Jan, we are about 4 weeks away from the 3 month wait period for OHIP. They have told my husband that myself and our children are not covered but can be once he obtains a letter from his employer advising that his employment will be for more than 3 years.

Has anybody else had to obtain a letter from their employer and if so, do you know the kind of wording that OHIP want as they wouldn't give my hubby any help :roll:

thanks

Mal
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 30 Mar 2007 13:10 GMT

We got a letter.

"To: Ministry of Health and Long Term Care

Re: OHIP Coverage for Mr X and family

This letter is confirmation that Mr X is employed by XYZ & Co as a ...... and it is our intention to employ him for at least three years from the current date."

HTH :lol:
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby deppfan64 » Fri 30 Mar 2007 13:14 GMT

Excellent Jessica, thank you very much!! :D

Did you have any problems once you gave them the letter? Does OHIP cover things like surgery etc?

Mal
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 30 Mar 2007 14:04 GMT

We had no problems with it although Annette did eh?

and yes OHIP covers surgery, depending on what it's for of course! I don't think cosmetic surgery is covered unless it's deemed essential for well being etc.
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby deppfan64 » Fri 30 Mar 2007 14:08 GMT

Thanks Jessica...I think Annette's hubby's employer is in the process of sorting it all out for them.

Mal
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters