It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:49 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Ontario Health Plan

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Ontario Health Plan

Postby deppfan64 » Sat 4 Nov 2006 13:57 GMT

Hi

Does anybody know anything about OHIP???

We are still waiting for our work permits etc so it doesn't concern me at the moment as we cannot get coverage until these come through. However, a friend of mine and her family are here on 1 year work permits. They will be covered by November 23. However when she spoke to OHIP they said that the two children...11 and 6 will not be covered as the parents are not here on a 3 year work permit!!!

Is this correct, then why do immigration issue 1 year work permits if they know that the children of the family are not going to be covered under OHIP. We've both looked at the website and it is very unclear....

Any help would be great...as we have children and don't want to be in the same situation.

Thanks

Mal
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby jessica » Sat 4 Nov 2006 18:54 GMT

hm, this is our situation:

we got here Aug 2004 with a temporary work permit. As soon as DH got here he applied OHIP, meanwhile he had private health insurance coverage. I assumed that our son and I wouldn't have OHIP as we were just kinda hanging on after him so I got us 12 months private health insurance. Turns out we did get OHIP, it was backdated to DH's application as we got here a month later. All I had to do was get a letter from DH's work place saying that they planned to take him on permanently and produce my son's and my immigration papers.

So that doesn't really answer your specific question.

Back in a minute with more information.

AHa! Try this:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/pub ... dt.html#Q1

you are a foreign worker who holds a valid work permit or employment authorization which names a Canadian employer situated in Ontario and your prospective occupation and is valid for at least six months

Oh sorry, you said you checked the website.

One thing I did do (and I'm afraid I can't find the information any more due to the death of our old computer and subsequent loss of a lot of useful stuff) was I emailed OHIP about something or other, and they got back to me by email - but they also included a phone number which took me to the highest echelons of OHIP at their HQ in Toronto, and the staff there were most helpful. Maybe you can email your specific questions and get that information back?

Good luck. I know it's not nice hanging round in healthcare limbo.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby deppfan64 » Sat 4 Nov 2006 22:49 GMT

Thanks for your help jessica and great info. I will re-direct my friend to this site so that she can read your advice.

The healthcare side is a bit of a worry...think we are just so used to popping round the the doctors back home!

Mal
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby n1k100 » Sat 4 Nov 2006 23:23 GMT

Hi Jessica, Im the friend Mal is talking about :-)

I am here with hubby on Work Permit, my current permit is Visitors for one year to accompany him. I have applied for Work permit since arriving Aug 2006.

I contact OHIP - 3 1/2 hrs to speak with them as did my landlady and Hubby's company. All have been told that Hubby is covered after 90 days of arriving. I would be covered if I was working but the children are not and wont be unless we have the 3yr permit, which is supplied if immigration is denied.

What immigration papers did you have?

I also wanted to discuss something else with you but I get all lost on thsi forum - only find the pages because Mal sends me the links LOL
Take care
Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby jessica » Mon 6 Nov 2006 13:31 GMT

n1k100 wrote:I am here with hubby on Work Permit, my current permit is Visitors for one year to accompany him. I have applied for Work permit since arriving Aug 2006.

I contact OHIP - 3 1/2 hrs to speak with them as did my landlady and Hubby's company. All have been told that Hubby is covered after 90 days of arriving. I would be covered if I was working but the children are not and wont be unless we have the 3yr permit, which is supplied if immigration is denied.

Well that's bizarre :? because when I applied I had a visitors permit accompanying my husband and our 4 year old was on it with me. Ours was for 2 years.

I now have a work permit, and we've had to re-apply for OHIP when we had to renew our work permits, and had no problems at all. In fact, the OHIP people here in London have been most helpful.

I'm so sorry, I don't know what else to suggest. :cry: It must be awful not having the healthcare security blanket.

Let me know if I can help more.
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby n1k100 » Fri 10 Nov 2006 03:54 GMT

Hi Jessica

It is the London office we have been dealing with and no they are not giving health care to me or my kids :-(

I have called in some help but they have been told this too and are looking into it further :-) We shall see what comes of it but I think people should be aware of the scenario eh!

You are not too far from me, I am in Delhi and need to ask you some questions about PR, if thats ok but struggle with this forum and where to put things. I am not allowed to PM either :-( Half the time I cannot even post because it tells me Im editing others posts and honestly I am not !!!

Take care
Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby Michael1944 » Fri 10 Nov 2006 12:41 GMT

nik100, it sounds like for the time being you will need Blue Cross protection, I don't think it is overly expensive and, rather than dealing on the phone with OHIP in London, might be worth the hours drive for a one on one???

Health Coverage has been changed under the current Liberal government so I am of no use here, but it is worth clarifying.

Simco and Tillsonburg are not bad little Hospitals and London has some great Doctors and excellent Hospitals.

Good Luck.
Posted by:
Michael1944
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 10 Nov 2006 13:23 GMT

London does have some great doctors, just not very many!

Annette, feel free to email me if you want. My email address is down there.
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby jessica » Thu 30 Nov 2006 04:42 GMT

How's it going Annette?

I talked to DH about your situation and he can't understnad it either, unless they've changed the rules or something? Seems like our two family situations are basically the same eh? Maybe we arrived before some kind of cut-off point :? :?
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby n1k100 » Fri 1 Dec 2006 02:43 GMT

Hi Jessica

Yes the situ sounds the same, I have to apply and see what the outcome is before it can be taken further. I now have a work permit and I am past three months but hubby cannot afford the time off work right now to take me to London to sort it out. Its a nightmare just now to be honest.

He has had to take time off for the goods arriving, 3 days trying to get license in Brantford and then a 4th day he actually got it, but I dont think his boss was too impressed. They are short staffed and a couple of plumbers there keep taking time off. He needs to remain in good books till his probationary time is up. In the meantime I try not let the children breathe in case they hurt themselves LOL

Take care
Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby jessica » Sun 3 Dec 2006 21:07 GMT

We passed Delhi on the way up to Kingston and I thought of you!

I know what you mean about DH having to be extra good.

Best of luck, and stay safe.
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby n1k100 » Mon 11 Dec 2006 02:06 GMT

Delhi is great and I love it Jessica but having no transport makes it a bit difficult. You could have stopped in for coffee on your way past :-)

I am trying to find out the holiday shut down of the OHIP place in London, do you have any ideas. Cannot phone them because it takes about 1/2 hr to get past the first voice recording! Just hubby is breaking up on 23rd and doesnt go back to work till the 7th January so I thought if I can
stop the kids breathing till then, then we can go get our OHIP.

The youngest was very well again and sent home from school the other day and I just panic in case their is a problem. I dont mind the infections and stuff because we can still go to a doctor in Simcoe and pay but if worse happened Id be stuck eh!

Take care
Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby jessica » Tue 12 Dec 2006 13:25 GMT

217 York Street, 5th Floor N6A 5P9
(corner of Clarence Street and York Street)
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday
8:30 am - 6:00 pm

My sources reckon they'll be closed on Christmas Day adn BOxing Day and New Years Day, otherwise, business as usual.
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby n1k100 » Fri 29 Dec 2006 02:04 GMT

Hi Jessica et al

Today I went to London OHIP office with husbands work permit, My work permit and all relevant information and ID. Hubby got his OHIP but the kids and I were refused because my work permit is not of the same standard as my husbands in that I do not have a skilled workers permit.

I have now written to the Minister of Health for Ontario because I cannot understand that if I am working, paying taxes, renting etc why do I not get any benefits!

Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 29 Dec 2006 17:18 GMT

:evil:

good for you. keep us informed as to your progress please
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Next

Return to Health and medical matters