It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:40 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Ontario Health Plan

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Postby Michael1944 » Fri 29 Dec 2006 20:19 GMT

nik, what does your local MPP say, that is the person you need to deal with.

Smitherman has no vested interest in helping you, I don't quite understand why you cannot get your card??
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Michael1944
Free member

Postby deppfan64 » Fri 29 Dec 2006 23:24 GMT

I know that Annette (nik) will answer for herself, but I think it is something to do with the length of the work permit you are given. It seems that if you are granted a work permit for under 3 years then you are not covered by OHIP. The crazy thing about it is that you have no control on how long you are given...it is all down to how the immigration guy feels when he grants the permit!
From other threads I have read, this only seems to happen in Ontario....a lot of the other provinces don't have this crazy rule.

Mal
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
deppfan64
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 29 Dec 2006 23:49 GMT

what I don't understand is that our work permit was for two years and we got ohip :?
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby n1k100 » Sat 30 Dec 2006 00:42 GMT

Hi guys

Mal, I may have written in wrong previously, but as Jessica said so long as you have a two year permit. Not that this makes any difference because unless I apply before 5mths leaving country I dont get it so the chances of me actually getting are nil anyway.

I think by the time this is sorted I will be less than 5 mths so wont get it anyway.

It is all very contradictory to what they have on their web site, IMO. Although even if I am elsewhere in the world I wont let this one lie because it is not right!

Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby nixons » Tue 15 Jan 2008 21:33 GMT

I have a job offer and all things being well will be moving over to the Toronto area in May with my wife, 2 year old child and two month old baby.

I appreciate that the 3 month waiting period is something everyone has to put up with and I will be covered on the OHIP after that time. However in order for my wife and kids to be covered after the 3 months I need to be on a three year work permit?

Is it also correct that my prospective employer has no say as to what duration the immigration officer will give me a work permit for?

I would not feel comfortable if they will not be covered after the three month period, especially with the two young kids.

So am I geting this right?
Posted by:
nixons
Free member

OHIP

Postby n1k100 » Tue 15 Jan 2008 22:13 GMT

Hi

I can answer this one! It was an ordeal for me.

Hubby got a one year permit. I think the new thing that came in last year is that permits are now for two years but dont quote me on that one.

You will be entitled to OHIP for the duration of your work permit after 3 months.

Your wife, even if she would have an open work permit, not one specified via the LMO. What you need to do and yes it sounds strange after everything you read on CIC website about permits but your employer gives you a letter and quote "he intends to keep you employed for a minimum of three years"

I eventually got the letter but mine said "he intended to keep him on indefinately" The let me off but I think they felt sorry for me because id been here over a year.

Please Remember to get this letter early on because if there is not 5 or 6 months left of your permit, your wife will not receive OHIP.

Hope this helps

Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby nixons » Tue 15 Jan 2008 22:23 GMT

Thanks that puts my mind at rest. I thought that there possibly was a way around getting the OHIP for whole family. I will get my future employer for the letter to present when i apply for OHIP.
Posted by:
nixons
Free member

OHIP

Postby n1k100 » Wed 16 Jan 2008 00:19 GMT

It took a while to sort mine out because of the CIC. When you get a work permit you are not supposed to think long term but then OHIP want a letter from employer offering minimum 3 yrs - doesnt make sense but I got this information from my MP and from the Ministry of Health in emails!

Take care and wish you all the best for the move

Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby aiglee » Sat 19 Jan 2008 19:02 GMT

I can confirm that, I haven't live it, but I was at Service Canada this week when the couple just in front of us was having the same issue and the recepcionist told them about the letter :)
Posted by:
aiglee
Free member

Previous

Return to Health and medical matters