It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:41 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Is BC healthcare really that bad?

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Is BC healthcare really that bad?

Postby Richter » Sun 24 Dec 2006 09:28 GMT

A friend of the family who has lived in West Vancouver for many, many years, says that the healthcare system in BC is terrible. Everyone needs to have private medical insurance as the state system is so poor and waiting lists so long.

She says that the Emergency service is dire and not available on private medical cover. Someone she knew had to wait ten hours to get a broken leg seen to. She also says quite hard to find a family doctor.

Does anyone have any views on the healthcare system in BC, and how does it compare to the (I think pretty dreadful) healthcare system in the UK?

I am bearing in mind she hasn't lived here for more than 30 years so she would probably get a shock if she moved back.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Richter
Free member

Postby Graeme » Sun 24 Dec 2006 19:46 GMT

Part of the problem here in BC is that we compare our state funded health system to the 'for profit' private US system. Of course there is no comparrison, and really you are comparing apples to oranges. In the BC system if you need treatment then you get it and reasonably quickly too. Far too many people use the emergency departments as a doctors office which is NOT what they are designed for, this creates back ups in the system, the other problem is that the government cut funding for extended care bads a few years ago and that has had a trickle down effect also. We're now stuck with many elderly people in hospital waiting placement (really for someone else to die) before they can free up the hospital bed for surgery candidates. The doctors compound the problem as they are paid fee for service, so they have a vested interest in bringing people back again and again for stupid stuff, such as reading blood tests or X rays which could easily be done by phone. Where I live one GP makes over a million dollars a year simply because of his mega repeat visits (certainly not through his exemplary skills as a health care provider) and a few other doctors here are close behind. So, while we have the doctors abusing the system, the clients abusing the system and the inherent restrictions built into the system we can't compare to the US.
The system we have is a good one, it works quite well. The press loves the failures and broadcasts them on a regular basis, but look at the inside of the system and you'd see that it is a good system which works fairly well.
:)

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Michael1944 » Wed 27 Dec 2006 13:22 GMT

I live in Ontario.

Monday, my Friend was taken to Emerg with Heart problems, Wednesday, he had triple Bypass and Heart valve replacement.

No system is 100%, in the US you may not be able to buy Insurance, people live in fear of retirement as they may not have Health Care.

US Insurance has a maximum, if you go over it, you sell your house to pay for it.

Canadian System works pretty well overall, it is abused, but having spent 30 years in Health Care, on balance it serves the population the best.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Michael1944
Free member

Postby n1k100 » Fri 29 Dec 2006 02:13 GMT

Ontario again! Ok I dont have health care yet but can comment on the system - certainly better than the UK

Yes it is probably abused but I dont think it is as much as in the UK.

I took an abscess on Saturday and by Sunday I was poorly so had to go to a walk in clinic. There are many around. The place was very very busy and suggested hubby took kids away expecting an hour or so wait, it was like or worse than my emergency hospital back home.

I waited 5mins and was given a thorough going over, not only for my mouth abscess but chest, tummy and all, unfortunately he found something I didnt realise I had but fortunately he found it on time or I could have been in hospital without health care :-(

No I like the health service here :-)

Annette
Posted by:
n1k100
Free member

Postby Jaymz » Wed 22 Aug 2007 14:47 GMT

My wife is a family doc.

Health system is good.

You do pay for your own drugs however.
Posted by:
Jaymz
Free member

Postby gav40liv » Sun 15 Jan 2012 22:22 GMT

Hi I am looking at moving to Victoria BC as i have a written offer of employment for an engineering position, i am married with 2 kids age 21 and 17, my family will also be moving with me. Can anyone advise if you need medical insurance and roughly how much it costs?
Posted by:
gav40liv
Free member

Postby Graeme » Mon 16 Jan 2012 02:30 GMT

Go the Medical Services Plan of BC's website, there you can calculate how much the medical insurance will cost you. For many companies it is paid as part of your salary or as a deduction from your salary. I think for a family of 3 and more it works out to about $120 a month which is cheap for what you get.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby gav40liv » Wed 18 Jan 2012 20:42 GMT

Graeme wrote:Go the Medical Services Plan of BC's website, there you can calculate how much the medical insurance will cost you. For many companies it is paid as part of your salary or as a deduction from your salary. I think for a family of 3 and more it works out to about $120 a month which is cheap for what you get.

Thx Graeme
Posted by:
gav40liv
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters