It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:43 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Having babies in Canada

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Having babies in Canada

Postby jessica » Wed 31 Jan 2007 13:41 GMT

mainly because I want to know how Caroline Draper is doing 8)

but also on a more serious point, this topic might be of use and interest to the womenfolk on this forum. I know I'm making some huge generalisations, I'm assuming that most women here are coming from the UK and also, my Canadian experience is only based in London, a small city in SW Ontario. Maybe other parents can contribute?

Most births in the UK are supervised by midwives, here, it's mainly "o.b." led (obstetrician / gynecologist). Midwives here in London Ontario anyway have only had hospital priveleges since 1994 :shock: and are still regarded as somewhat alternative, especially in the medical profession. There are three midwife practices in the area and they are hellishly overbooked.

OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) will pay for you to have a midwife, but you cannot have both ob and midwife for your pregnancy. If there are problems, you change to the ob.

Midwife appointments last 45 minutes (compared to about 15 minutes in the UK) and they are always on time, compared to an ob appointment at which you will generally wait ages and maybe see the ob, probably his (they're mostly men) assistant as the ob will more than likely be attending a birth or be in surgery.

Here in London you do not the get the amazing follow up either - if you have a midwife birth, they will come out to see you 3 times in the first 10 days while in England they come out every day. Also in England, health visitors will come to your house and the local authority chase you up with vaccination and check-up notices. Nothing like that here, it's up to you to take the child to your gp or paediatrician or to a "public nurse" at a local baby weigh-in clinic.

However, breast feeding support is excellent, there are public health nurses and private organisations to support you.

(admin, please delete this topic if you need to ok?)
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Thu 1 Feb 2007 00:53 GMT

Hi Jessica

Well what can I say. Great post.

Well I have tried all the tricks and its still in there!! Kids ay, difficult to get them to stay there initially and then they do not want to come out.

The local VFS has offered to give me a good shaking.... I dread to think what that means. Hubby is in the VFS. So I am figuring there is some private joke there.

Our experience is slightly different. Here in NS there are midwives but they are not recognised. So if you want one then you have to pay private. They are only allowed to do home births. They are not allowed to do cutting etc. They have to wait for a doctor to do all that and delivering the placenta etc.

If they enter a hospital they are only allowed a support role.

In hospitals consultants are in control. Nurses do all the leg work and then they call the doctor in for the catching of child or any stitching and cutting and placenta work.

I have seen the local gp once a month until the last 2 months where I have been to the consultant every other week. Then the last month gp one week, consultant the next.

I have now been discharged until I give birth at which point straight into Kentville where the consultant takes over and then to get discharged from hospital the consultant discharges the baby and my gp discharges me. We have to call the gp when labour begins and they meet us at the hospital.

Then we have to go to the gp for weighing etc rather than a health clinic. Not sure about the rest as it will be explained to me nearer the time.

Hey ho, if its not out by the 5th of Feb then I have to go in to be induced...

Oh still waiting to hear from the uk gov regards dual nationality. It may be a long wait... :roll:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Michael1944 » Thu 1 Feb 2007 13:38 GMT

caroline, your baby will automatically have dual nationality by virtue of your citizenship.

My Sons both qualified for Red Passports, no problem, over the internet.

I do not believe in Mid Wives, were it not for the fact our friend was in the Hospital she would have lost the first child.

We have two children, zero complaints, try going to the States where it could cost you $50,000++ for a child.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Michael1944
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Thu 8 Feb 2007 23:53 GMT

At last!!!

A new canadian has arrived.

:D

We are thrilled.

Orson Glenavon Draper was born in Kentville at 12.45pm Tuesday. We all came home yesterday.

7lb 11oz
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Michael1944 » Fri 9 Feb 2007 00:36 GMT

Kris Draper, Detroit Red Wings, your boy should be on skates by the week end.

Congratulations.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Michael1944
Free member

Postby jessica » Fri 9 Feb 2007 13:08 GMT

Many congratulations to you all!!!!!

:D :D
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 9 Feb 2007 16:12 GMT

Not trying to bump the thread, and mods can close after this posting if they want.

But wanted to say a HUGE THANKS, to everyone on this board who has followed our progress with the questions regarding giving birth in Canada etc.

Also thanks for all your kind words and words of wisdom.

Take Care

Caroline x :D
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Tue 20 Feb 2007 16:04 GMT

Updates.

Went for our first check up last week. On the Tuesday the health visitor did a home visit. Lovely girl about my age early 30s. Asked same questions as you'd expect in uk - how is baby feeding, how is mum feeling, sleep pattens emerging and colour of child's motions etc

Then a naked weigh of baby on electronic scales.

Then arranged another home visit in 2 weeks.

Next day check up at gps. Another naked weigh, measured head circumfrance and length of body. Same questions. Talked about immunisations, given immunisation card which has all the dates on for each injection. Tomorrow is a week on from all this and another gp check up. Will have Orson booked in for first set of jabs "Dip etc".

Will inform all of what happens next.

:D
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 22 Feb 2007 19:50 GMT

Congratulations on the new arrival. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby carolinedraper » Sun 8 Apr 2007 17:11 GMT

Not updated for a while.

Had my 6 week check done at 5 weeks...

All passed. And they routinely do a smear test at same time.

Discussed birth control and was given the pill (told not to start before 8 weeks as it can decrease breast milk). He gave me a years worth!!!! That is trust it would never be that many in the UK, you would be given say 3 months and then told to go back to GP for a check.

Orson has blocked tear ducts but its same practice as in UK. Warm water and massage, they will not open ducts until 1 yr has passed. As they should open on their own.

He has his first jabs next week.

While there we were informed that Callum our eldest who is 5 in Sept needs his chicken pox jab. Again its routine here in NS before you are allowed to go to school and its free. Not told him yet.
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby carolinedraper » Thu 30 Aug 2007 21:36 GMT

Well Callum had his chicken pox vaccination so is all health passed to start school in a few weeks.

Orson has now had all his jabs and is now 6 months. He does not need to go to the doctor again untilhe is 9 months old.So very similar patten to the UK.

We have enquired about single jabs as opposed to the MMR. It appears that you can get them done here,and again you pay for them individually. The GP has to order them in advance.

If any one else has any experience or anything that differs from what I have been told please post.
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Return to Health and medical matters