It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:52 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

I am confused on the healthcare costs! someone clarify?

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

I am confused on the healthcare costs! someone clarify?

Postby dizzinurse » Sun 8 Apr 2007 16:32 GMT

i am very confused! some sources have told me that healthcare is payed in tax as in England and now i am reading that you have to pay for it! :?
As i have 2 children both with exzema, asthma and my son is basically a walking disease! they need regular health visits and prescriptions.
Can someone just clarify for me the costs and what is involved in the canadian health system!

Jo x
Posted by:
dizzinurse

Postby Graeme » Mon 9 Apr 2007 15:56 GMT

Health care in Canada is a little complicated, it is mandated Federally, but controlled provincially. Each province has its own rate structure and you will pay more in some provinces and less in others. Here in BC a family of 4 would be about $120 a month, in Alberta they are covered by the provincial government at no cost. So to answer your question, it depends on where you go in Canada as to how much you'll pay.
Your provincial plan will cover you for most things, some things are not covered. Medication is not covered if the medication is dispensed outside a hospital (ie a chemists) and this is where you need third party coverage like blue cross or blue shield etc. With some plans you pay for the medication then submit the bills and get a refund, some are deducted at point of pay. Most devices are not covered by the provincial plan (expansion chambers for asthmatics, incentive spirometers peak flow meters etc) but may be recovered through the third party payer. Health care is generally not as all encompassing as it is in the UK, but it is good, relatively cheap and easily accessed.
Hope that helps some.
Graeme
:)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Max1944 » Tue 10 Apr 2007 11:55 GMT

Ontario, it is collected as an Income Tax, max about $1,000, but this does not extend to Drugs.

You will need Third Party Coverage, either from your Employer or from your own, and it may not include pre exsisting conditions??

What Province are you heading for??
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Max1944
Free member

Postby dizzinurse » Tue 10 Apr 2007 16:22 GMT

we are heading for ontario and we have several pre existing conditions and two of the serious, we are concerned that treatment may make it very expensive to stay in canada.

Thanks fro the replies, its always helpful from an insiders view

Jox
Posted by:
dizzinurse

Postby Max1944 » Tue 10 Apr 2007 16:57 GMT

You mentioned you are a Nurse, Casuals and Part Timers can buy Benefits, contact ONA, the Union, and clarify whether Benefits would cover pre existing conditions.

Contact Oshawa General, Ajax Pickering, Bowmanville General, check on job situation, also Markham Stoufville, but that is a bit of a drive.

Rouge Valley Health Centre, also a possibilty, about 1/2 hour drive.

Full Time Nurses, with a little overtime, can earn $80,000 + a year, which will buy what 80,000 pounds does in the U.K.

What you are paying a pound for, here, it's about a Dollar.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Max1944
Free member

Postby Buddyboy » Fri 20 Apr 2007 22:45 GMT

If you have a full time job here, your benefits usually pay all or almost all your drug costs, and often includes additionals such as physio, chiropractors, etc., along with dental, orthodontics, etc. The level of coverage varies but the general rule is, if you have a permanent job with an organization of any size, you and your dependants will have adequate coverage.

Coverage or not, I would far rather be in need of care in Canada than in the U.K.
Posted by:
Buddyboy
Supporter

Postby Saskatonian » Mon 7 May 2007 23:25 GMT

Hi there, to start, healthcare is AB is NOT free, a family of 4 pays 88 dollar a month, a single 44 dollars.
However most times your employer will pay half.

The healtplan wil cover, visits to your familydocter and hospitalcoasts.
Dentist and medicine will be covered by hour benefits..OR your own healthinsurance.
If your employer offers benefits than of course you don't have to buy your own.

(Hi btw, i'm new here, lived in Alberta for 3 years and moved to Saskatchewan 2 years ago...last move was the best ;-) )
Posted by:
Saskatonian
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters