It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:49 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Sorry - still confused on OHIP....

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Sorry - still confused on OHIP....

Postby princy » Tue 26 Jun 2007 22:10 GMT

Ok, I'm in the process of moving to Ontario on a work permit. As I understand it, after 3 months I will be eligible for the OHIP.
However My spouse and and 3 kids are unlikely to be eligible as I suspect my work permit will be valid for less then 3 years.
Can someone PLEASE confirm this is the case?

If so, I guess I need to purchase medical insurance for them, but this is above and beyond the normal 'top-up' stuff you can get to cover drug dispensing and dental etc..?

Can anyone recommend where to get this from? or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
princy
Free member

Postby peter25 » Wed 27 Jun 2007 03:01 GMT

Hi princy
you will need to purchase cover for the first 3 months we done this through blue cross but it only covers emergency items not local ckeck up at the doc's as we found out when we tried to claim our money back.
But you must get a letter from your employer saying they will employe you for at least 3 years or your dependants will not get ohip cover.

Hope this helps

Peter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peter25
Free member

Postby jessica » Wed 27 Jun 2007 12:01 GMT

But you must get a letter from your employer saying they will employe you for at least 3 years or your dependants will not get ohip cover.

This was our experience too. I didn't realise and got private insurance for me and my son for a year - didn't need it after all because after three months we all got OHIP.

However, another poster on this forum has had trouble getting OHIP for herself and the children.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby princy » Wed 27 Jun 2007 14:38 GMT

I guess thanks again..... :lol:

I hadn't realized that a letter from my employer would do the trick. Thats put my mind at rest a little... the only difficulty is that what started off as a perm job seems to have turned into a contract job, that's going to cause me problems..

If I use someone like blue cross, I guess I still need to pay for doctors etc? is that expensive?
Posted by:
princy
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters