It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:04 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Midwifery in Ontario

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Midwifery in Ontario

Postby alisonmr » Wed 11 Jul 2007 23:43 GMT

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experiences of what the maternity service is really like in Ontario? I am a midwife in Scotland thinking of moving to Ontario. I know that midwifery legislation is a relatively new thing in Canada and theoretically the system in place seems ideal for both mums and midwives.
Posted by:
alisonmr

Postby jessica » Sat 14 Jul 2007 01:07 GMT

I started a thread about Having Babies in Canada - can't remember exactly where - but WE NEED MORE MIDWIVES!! I had a good chat with my m/w when I had our daughter last year, and she told me that m/ws have only had hospital priveleges since 1994 :shock: and they are generally regarded as "going natural" :roll: More and more women are using them though (from what I know here in London anyway). Women LOVE the one-to-one, lots of time and explanations that m/w offer vs the usual ob/gyn experience. I got the impression that some old-style general practitoners though regard them as dangerous and old-fashioned - my own gp practically said I was condemning my unborn child to death so I don't see her any more.

Do you have any specific questions I can answer?[/code]
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Return to Health and medical matters