It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:37 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

cost of giving birth in BC

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

cost of giving birth in BC

Postby MAL73 » Fri 17 Aug 2007 18:50 GMT

Hi All,

I got my passport back with my PR visa stamped in it today. I'm elated but I'm also 3 months pregnant and have to prepare for giving birth in Canada.
I'm really at a loss of what to expect delivery costs wise. I know I have to get private health insurance for the first 3 months but I'm assuming they won't pay out anything re the baby as it's a preexisting condition?!

Due to work commitments I would not be in Canada until January (baby due at the end of Feb) thus I would not have 3 months of residency built up prior to giving birth.Would I, as a PR, get any assistance in the cost of the delivery or would i have to foot it all myself?

Assuming I have to meet the costs myself does anybody have a rough idea of how much I should expect to pay?

Thanks for your help,

Mal
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
MAL73
Free member

Postby Autumn » Sat 25 Aug 2007 12:43 GMT

Hi Mal :D

I hope everything went well with the baby.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Autumn
Free member

Postby tidziwe » Wed 29 Aug 2007 16:18 GMT

I don't have exact figures anymore, but I did look into this at one point and the costs were pretty high. There is a charge for the delivery itself, and then a charge for every 24hrs that you and the baby stay in hospital after the birth. I reckoned on needing about CAD$10-15,000, and that's assuming there aren't any complications like needing a caesarian. If you know where you are moving to you can contact the hospital you will be delivering in and they will tell you the cost exactly - that's what I did. It would definitely be worth finding out for sure if your 3-month private healthcare would cover anything.
Posted by:
tidziwe

Return to Health and medical matters