It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:52 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

From NHS to Canadian Health Care - Help!

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

From NHS to Canadian Health Care - Help!

Postby tigger » Wed 29 Aug 2007 16:17 GMT

Hello there,

I work for the NHS but am a frequent flyer myself with a couple of health problems. (asthma and diabetes) In the UK I get free prescriptions (and a few perks via work - hey you need a few!).

What is healthcare like in Canada? I guess we'll be on temporary visa's until we get PR status and I have no idea of the sort of coverage or the cost (especially of all the pills and potions I take!)

I worked in the USA and remember getting some perks via work but things still cost the earth and that was before I had the additional problems.

If anyone can give me any kind of up-to-date information on:

1. working in healthcare and the sorts of perks you get?
2. how much you initially have to pay for health care insurance?
3. how much medications are?

Thank you

:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby Graeme » Wed 29 Aug 2007 19:24 GMT

Helen:
Working for a health authority you will get all the benefits covered as part of your contract. They deduct some costs from your pay check but it's not very much. This provides dental, medication, alternate providers orthotics death benefit etc. You may have some up-front costs but nothing like having to pay the whole whack. You don't get coverage until 3 months are up, but that's the same for health-care in most provinces, so take extra insurance for those 3 months to cover you. I'd be tempted to get extra prescriptions filled to bring with you anyhow.
If you go generic ie use salbutamol instead of ventolin your costs are reduced hugely, diabetic meds are the same (are you type I or II?).
A lot of americans travel to Canada to get their meds still as they are much cheaper here, I think you'd be quite happy with the costs you incur, and another thing, they are all tax deductible at the end of the year so the government can give you money back depending on your earnings, tax bracket etc etc.
Hope that helps.
Graeme
:)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby tigger » Thu 30 Aug 2007 15:52 GMT

Hello again Graeme,
Thanks for explaining about the coverage I hope to get with my job. Is the 3 months cover you mentioned something you need for the first 3 months after you arrive in the country or from when you start a job? (if that makes sense). I guess if I don't work for the first couple of weeks does this count as the 3 months?
Thanks again
H
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby Graeme » Thu 30 Aug 2007 18:46 GMT

Helen:
Coverage starts from three months after you make the first payment, this might not happen during the first three weeks of being here so best to have health insurance from the UK for four months so there is some overlap. Extended health coverage starts three months after you start accumulating benefits at work (assuming human resources are on the ball).

:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby tigger » Fri 31 Aug 2007 05:44 GMT

Thank you once again - its a good job you don't charge for messages as I'd be in debt by now!
Glad to have that clarified. I guess there are lots of insurance companies out there but if you know any (and you are allowed to) let me know.
We are also thinking now of moving to the west coast where jobs are in shorter supply!
H
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Postby tigger » Mon 7 Jan 2008 12:30 GMT

Hello.
Since I wrote my last posting I have found a job (fingers crossed) however it is for a private company within the healthcare profession. If anyone knows what to do in terms of health/dental etc cover I would be grateful for advice!
I will be asking the employer too

Kind regards

Helen
Posted by:
tigger
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters