It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 04:48 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

First 3 month healthcare cost

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

First 3 month healthcare cost

Postby Atrob » Fri 12 Sep 2008 09:10 GMT

I'm moving to Kelowna/Vernon in March 2009 and need to take out healthcare cover for the forst 90 days.
I know about "Canadasure" but shocked at their cost.

Has anyone used other companies that I can get prices from?

Thanks
Alan
Posted by:
Atrob

Postby carolinedraper » Thu 25 Sep 2008 23:02 GMT

just google search private insurance companies healthcare canada and you should get a good list.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby john5655 » Fri 26 Sep 2008 01:44 GMT

have you considered using a travel insurance policy from UK?

another alternative, don't bother and pay for any medical expenses you incur, anything big and you can pop back to UK (just a thought, I'm still weighing up these options myself)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
john5655
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 26 Sep 2008 01:48 GMT

We never bothered and that was with a child. Our reasoning being that we ringed fenced some money and said well that covers most medical things and if not the Visa Card will.

Our logic was to have the money earning interest in our account as opposed to an insurance company - remember just cos you claim does not mean that they have to pay out!! Watch the docu SICKO and you will see what I mean.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Jeffnanne » Fri 17 Oct 2008 15:44 GMT

We have a family annual international insurance here in the UK.... I think that would work. We have used it many times in Florida.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jeffnanne
Free member

Postby nickyash » Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:06 GMT

I am in this sitation of finding suitable insurance for the first 3 months - my inital thought was the same as Carolines (ringfence some money and just not get anything and sit tight ...and I agree ...why make the insurance companies any richer than they are..........and they always try and get out of paying anyway!
But then I thought what happens if I get into a car accident (god forbid) and need emergency care/treatment/surgery etc?

I did a search on money supermarket and Amex offer a short term insurance (gap year/travellers insurance) and this can be anything up to 6 months.About a £100 less than Canadasure and the approx cost for four months cover was about £220 for 2 adults (including winter sports).

Anyone taken this out? Is it any good?....I'll let you know if I need to use it!
Nicky
Posted by:
nickyash
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Fri 28 Nov 2008 00:48 GMT

All I advise is to read the small print as we found out after lots of research that we would not be covered as our PR was now Canada and therefore we were not in Canada on a holiday or as a traveller....

Also many uk policies require that your PR be in the UK....

Just check as it would be a shame to come a cropper.
Posted by:
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby nickyash » Fri 28 Nov 2008 07:28 GMT

Good advise Caroline - I rang Amex yesterday and the fact that we are now PR's and the fact that we won't be returning to the UK makes it null and void!

So I am going to use Canadasure for the first 3 months which is nearly £300 (including winter sports) for 2 adults.
Posted by:
nickyash
Free member

Postby tracie107 » Wed 31 Dec 2008 21:39 GMT

We also went with Canadsure - 2 adults 1 child £500 (ex winter sports) as didn't need it.
Posted by:
tracie107
Free member

Return to Health and medical matters