It is currently Sun 17 Jan 2021 19:45 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Downs Syndrome

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Downs Syndrome

Postby big-rig-steve » Wed 26 Nov 2008 10:39 GMT

We are hoping to move to Canada, our 12wk old son has downs syndrome, looking to be mild however. How do we find out more information before we start the paperwork and spend money if we are unlikley to be accepted due to this. We do have family who are residents and I am a truck driver that would be our route in.

Thanks
Posted by:
big-rig-steve

Postby melwaite » Sun 23 Jan 2011 13:13 GMT

Hi steve i know this is an old post, just wondering if you ever made it to canada? I am in a similar situation, however my hubby has been offered a job and his employers are aware of my sons condition, spina bifida.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
melwaite
Free member

Hi

Postby big-rig-steve » Fri 11 Feb 2011 23:42 GMT

Hi there, I have just started looking into moving again this week and have an interview lined up here in the UK. At the moment my wife and kids will stay in uk until I am set up and my wife finishes college- as my job would be long haul truck driver i'd be away alot. What line of work is your husband going into?

I havent found out yet what happens with our son. What did you have to do visa wise with your son?
Posted by:
big-rig-steve

Postby melwaite » Sat 12 Feb 2011 00:43 GMT

hi steve its good to hear you are still thinking about moving. my hubby just got there yesterday and starts work on monday. he is a fabricator and is going to work for a company called cherubini in halifax nova scotia. He has a 2 year work permit and i can get an open work permit on the back of his and for temporary residents there are no health requirements providing you only need medication for the duration of your stay. The government has lifted the blanket ban on disabled immigrants and they are now supposed to look at each case individually and if you can prove that you won't cost the country more than $5000 per year then you have a chance of being approved for permanent residency. Our plan is to go out on the work permits and see if it is feasable for us to manage our sons healthcare first and then if it is we will put together a plan to go along with our application to prove that we can manage the care and that we have been doing so already for x amount of time. I don't know if it will work or not but a promising thing is the company my hubby are going to work for has hired a relocation company to help him settle in and the lady who runs it told him yesterday that she knows of people with downs syndrome who have gotten pr. I can get their details for you if you would like to get in touch with her and use her services i think she could be a lot of help as she has helped my hubby with a lot today. in just one day he has got his medical card, social security number opened a bank account, been given a visa!! straight away and got his work permit collected from the airport as yesterday the printer wasn't working lol so they couldn't give it to him straight away. He said going through immigration was no problem at all and they were so helpful, when the printer wouldn't work the girl had offered to bring it to his place of work on monday but he needed it today to get everything else sorted. We are planning to join him in 6 months or so if he likes his job and thinks he is going to stay. I hope whatever i am telling you is right as i only know what other people have told me but i'm sure if i'm wrong on anything someone else will fill in the blanks lol.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
melwaite
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 12 Feb 2011 17:38 GMT

Mel, there's a lot of information in there - for which thanks - but it's a very long paragraph for people to read all at one go. If you break posts up into more manageable chunks, I think people will find them easier to read. As it is, you're likely to put a lot of people off.

BTW, we don't allow recommendations, except on the premium boards. Here's an explanation as to why not.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Health and medical matters