It is currently Sat 23 Jan 2021 05:36 GMT
Change font size

Health and medical matters

Healthy or ill

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Healthy or ill

Postby Fleur » Tue 23 Dec 2008 11:31 GMT

This may sound a silly question but for the second christmas in a row everyone in England appears to have the winter vomiting bug or a very heavy cold that is almost flu! Does everyone in Canada get this ill over the festive season? Perhaps it gets lovely and cold there and that kills these nasty bugs off?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Fleur
Free member

Postby Graeme » Tue 23 Dec 2008 15:00 GMT

Minus 25 with a wind chill of minus 32C, the bugs don't do too well in this weather. So, to answer your question, here in the Interior of BC we don't have any major illnesses at the moment.
Stay well.
Graeme
:)
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby jessica » Tue 23 Dec 2008 17:14 GMT

We get our fair share of yucky bugs - espeically with school age children :evil:

My Canadian friends say it's worse when you get cold weather followed by a warm spell and back again to cold weather - apparently that's when you see a proliferation of illnesses.

It's also confusing - lots of people claim to have pneumonia - yet in the UK pneumonia - in my limited experience - is very serious while here, it just seems to be another word for a bad cough.

Also "flu" usually means sickness and diarrhoea here, rather than "influenza"
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
jessica
Supporter

Postby sawman » Sat 27 Dec 2008 13:35 GMT

Well, from personal experience, I havent had a cold since I left England (18months) and I used to get a couple a year on average, however I have developed a continual runny nose, which I attribute to blown air heating/air conditioning.

Before christmas this year there was the winter vomiting bug here which went around and affected lots of folks. GPs seem quite pro active in terns of offering flu shots, but as 25% of folks dont have a GP there are lots who dont get it!

s
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sawman
Free member

Postby tracie107 » Wed 31 Dec 2008 21:35 GMT

Since arriving 8 months ago I haven't had a single cold *touch wood*. Back in the UK it was a regular thing and more so before Christmas.

TBH- I haven't felt this healthy in years!
Posted by:
tracie107
Free member

Postby tomhanks991 » Sat 21 Nov 2009 17:27 GMT

Hey Fleur,
This is quite a low level thinking by you. Its not the festivals that are creating this problem which you are talking off. Its the people who are starting it and making it miserable for the people to live. The cold you are talking about is not because of the festival but due to the global warming it is being really difficult to predict the future weather. Not only in England but every person in this world is fed up of this situation. So just don't think about the situation and try to enjoy the festival as that comes once a year.
Posted by:
tomhanks991

Postby sawman » Sat 21 Nov 2009 18:09 GMT

tomhanks991 wrote:Hey Fleur,
This is quite a low level thinking by you. Its not the festivals that are creating this problem which you are talking off. Its the people who are starting it and making it miserable for the people to live. The cold you are talking about is not because of the festival but due to the global warming it is being really difficult to predict the future weather. Not only in England but every person in this world is fed up of this situation. So just don't think about the situation and try to enjoy the festival as that comes once a year.

not quite sure I understand this statement
Posted by:
sawman
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 21 Nov 2009 19:39 GMT

Hmm, I see what you mean, Sawman. Thanks.

I think we have (yet another) Indian spammer on our hands. :roll: I'll disable their ability to post while I investigate further. Honestly, you wouldn't believe the amount of crap we get and how much effort it takes to keep the place clean. :)

Of course, they don't bother on some fora. :twisted:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Fleur » Sat 21 Nov 2009 19:46 GMT

Thanks for looking into this one Kay.

I'm not so sure I like being called "low level".
:?
Posted by:
Fleur
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 21 Nov 2009 19:58 GMT

He's just another idiot, Fleur. Please don't concern yourself about it.

I recognise this guy - I've seen him around before, spamming elsewhere. We've not only banned him but are also blocking his IP range now.

One might well ask, "How come it's spam?". Well, that posting wasn't really spam, but I know the tricks these guys get up to (I've been doing this for almost a decade) and it would take me too long to explain. Please just take my word for it that he was up to no good. :)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Health and medical matters